About This Chapter
Preventing Bloodborne Pathogen Transmission - Chapter Summary
This chapter helps you understand and apply preventative measures to avoid the transmission of bloodborne pathogens. You'll take a look at universal precautions that are used in the healthcare industry and learn how to avoid bloodborne pathogen exposure in school settings. Our instructors also walk you through proper hand-washing techniques and sterilization methods.
These convenient training resources can be studied at any time that's convenient. Using a simple and engaging instructional style, these lessons offer concise definitions and memorable examples to help you learn and apply these preventative and protective techniques. Additional resources include printable lesson transcripts and short self-assessment quizzes to help you test your understanding of the material.
How It Helps
Teachers who are new to a school district must meet certain compliance requirements for bloodborne pathogens. These training resources can help teachers meet these requirements, know how to properly prevent disease transmission and ensure the well-being of their students. Professionals in healthcare fields can also use these lessons to supplement their knowledge of universal precautions and safety measures.
The lessons in this chapter will help you:
- Prevent the transmission of bloodborne pathogens
- Recognize standard precautions and safety measures for bodily fluids
- Apply universal precautions that are used in healthcare
- Know how to avoid exposure to bloodborne pathogens in a variety of school situations and settings
- Identify types of personal protective equipment and understand how they prevent disease transmission
- Examine proper sterilization, disinfectant and antiseptics methods
- Understand medical asepsis precautions
- Know how to use alcohol as a disinfectant
- Wash your hands properly using soap and water, as well as hand sanitizer
- Put on and take off sterile gloves
1. Prevention of Bloodborne Pathogens
Bloodborne pathogens can be deadly. As a result, you want to do everything you can to prevent their transmission. This lesson goes over many important ways by which you can accomplish this.
2. Bloodborne Pathogens: Safety & Standard Precautions
In a hospital setting, there is always a risk of healthcare workers becoming exposed to bloodborne pathogens from patient bodily fluids. Let's review some of the standard precautions used to increase safety in healthcare.
3. Universal Precautions for Bloodborne Pathogens
This lesson will define two important concepts in healthcare; universal precautions and blood-borne-pathogens. An explanation on the use of universal precautions will be provided as well as how to apply them.
4. Avoiding Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens in School Settings
In this lesson, we will explore situations that put people at risk for exposure to bloodborne pathogens in the school setting and what to do in those situations to decrease the risk.
5. Types of Personal Protective Equipment
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of personal protective equipment and how they are used to prevent sickness from spreading from person to person.
6. Antiseptics, Disinfectants & Sterilization
This lesson will discuss the differences between antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization as well as some of the methods used for sterilization and antiseptic compounds you may have used yourself.
7. Medical Asepsis: Precautions & Case Example
Medical asepsis is a complex and very important topic. This lesson introduces you to its definition, core aspects, and tests your knowledge with a case example.
8. Using Alcohol as a Disinfectant and Antiseptic
This lesson will discuss how alcohol can be used as a disinfectant and antiseptic but not a sterilant. We'll also talk about what it kills and doesn't kill and why ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the two most commonly used alcohol-based disinfectants.
9. Hand Hygiene for Health Care: When & How to Clean Hands
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of hygiene, why hand hygiene is important, and step-by-step instructions on how to properly wash your hands.
10. How to Use Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers
In this lesson, you'll learn what is better: washing your hands or using a hand sanitizer. You'll learn what hand sanitizer you need to get and how to properly use one.
11. How to Apply & Remove Non-Sterile Gloves
In this lesson, you're going to learn how to put on and remove non-sterile gloves. By following the steps in this lesson, you'll help keep yourself and your patients safe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Bloodborne Pathogens Training course