About This Chapter
Preventing & Treating Strokes - Chapter Summary
If you are looking for a resource that can improve your knowledge of stroke prevention and treatment, you've reached the right place! Our lessons provide a well-rounded examination of different types of strokes, how they are treated and the processes of recovery. Access any number of lessons as often as necessary to fully comprehend these topics, and take accompanying quizzes to check your understanding. Our Dashboard tracks your progress through this chapter and lets you submit lesson topic questions to our experts. Study at your own pace to ensure you're able to do the following with confidence:
- Explain how to prevent a stroke
- List and describe signs of a stroke
- Share symptoms, treatment, recovery and rehabilitation details for the brain stem stroke
- Describe the prognosis and recovery of the basal ganglia stroke
- Give details about the treatment and recovery of the eye stroke
- Discuss the symptoms and treatments for cerebellar, embolic and thrombotic strokes
- Detail the causes, treatment, prognosis and recovery of the lacunar stroke
1. How to Prevent Stroke
Have you ever heard of a cerebrovascular accident? If not, then this lesson is for you. Even if you have, perhaps you'd like to learn how to prevent a stroke? If so, then this lesson is for you too.
2. Signs of a Stroke: Acronym & Recognition
Do you know how to tell if a loved one is having a stroke? You might be a hero one day if you learn to recognize the simple signs of stroke. This lesson goes over them and tells you why they occur in general.
3. Brain Stem Stroke: Symptoms & Treatment
We are going to learn about brain stem strokes by discussing information about the signs and symptoms of a brain stem stroke as well as the treatments that are available.
4. Brain Stem Stroke: Recovery & Rehabilitation
Recovery from a brain stem stroke initially focuses on supporting life functions. The rehabilitation period focuses on therapies that assist in restoring and improving functions that have been compromised by the stroke. Read on to learn more.
5. Basal Ganglia Stroke: Prognosis & Recovery
This lesson offers a brief glimpse into basal ganglia strokes. We will look at the prognosis and recovery from this type of stroke and the factors that determine both.
6. Eye Stroke: Treatment & Recovery
An eye stroke is a specific type of stroke that affects, you guessed it, the eye! This lesson takes a look at some of the short- and long-term treatment options for eye strokes, as well as recovery plans.
7. Cerebellar Stroke: Prognosis & Recovery
The cerebellum is a part of the brain. In this lesson, we'll learn about cerebellar strokes. We'll discuss the effects of this type of stroke and look at the recovery and prognosis associated with a stroke.
8. Cerebellar Stroke: Symptoms & Treatment
Can a medical issue in the little brain be a big problem? Of course! In this video, you'll learn that even if it's smaller than our 'big brain,' a cerebellar stroke of the 'little brain' is not a little problem.
9. Embolic Stroke: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we will discuss some of the details about an embolic stroke such as the symptoms that are commonly associated with having an embolic stroke. We will also look at the treatment options that are used.
10. Thrombotic Stroke: Symptoms & Treatment
We are going to learn about what a thrombotic stroke is by discussing the symptoms that a person may have when having a thrombotic stroke and the treatment options that are available. Following the lesson, complete the quiz to test your new knowldege.
11. Lacunar Stroke: Causes & Treatment
You may be familiar with strokes, but what about lacunar strokes? These occur due to blocked blood flow in the tiniest arteries deep in your brain. In this lesson, we'll take a look at what causes these strokes and how they're treated.
12. Lacunar Stroke: Prognosis & Recovery
This lesson is going to introduce a type of stroke known as a lacunar stroke. We will discuss the prognosis and common scenarios for expected recovery from a lacunar stroke.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests