About This Chapter
Preventive & Responsive Schools Services - Chapter Summary
You'll find content in this chapter that examines the components of a healthy school climate and the potential hurdles to accurately establishing it. A lesson is included that discusses the process of school policy development. You'll also see material on prevention that targets failing, truancy and dropping out of school.
The chapter also discusses school crisis prevention planning including recovery and response procedures. You will come across information on bullying including how to prevent and stop it. Health education and promotion and suicide prevention are also addressed. Once your review is complete you should be able to:
- Explain the process of assessing school climate
- Discuss school violence prevention practices
- Identify effects of truancy
- Provide bullying prevention tactics
- Identify key components to school policy development
- Discuss common crisis response procedures
- Describe strategies for preventing school failure
You can take practice quizzes after you have looked over lesson content to see how well you are comprehending and retaining the information. The material in this chapter is taught by our professional instructors in a way that is engaging and easy to understand. Key terms are linked to text lessons for further elaboration and each video has its own lesson transcript you can review to enhance your learning.
1. Promoting Safe Schools
Studies show that the most effective interventions in reducing violence in schools require changing the environment of the entire school. This lesson provides an overview of staff members' responsibilities in promoting safe schools.
2. Positive Reinforcement: Definition & Examples
Positive reinforcement is the addition of a reward following a desired behavior. In this lesson, you will examine examples of positive reinforcement and be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
3. Bullying, Suicide & Violence in Schools
In this lesson, we will define bullying, suicide, and violence as they relate to the behavior of school-aged children. We will also explore ways in which school districts can reduce the incidence of each.
4. How to Prevent Bullying in Schools
This lesson looks at the reality of bullying and the concern students have about bullying prevention. It also explains how schools and teachers can take action to prevent bullying.
5. School Climate: Definition & Assessment
A school's climate is a very important factor is student success and learning. As a teacher, it is important that you understand what school climate is and how it's assessed so that you can be sure you are positively impacting your school's learning environment.
6. School Policy Development Process
In this lesson, we'll learn how to implement a new school policy. We'll go over some of the preliminary work and research required, as well as the cooperative steps needed to make sure the system is effective.
7. Health Education in Schools
This lesson provides the definition of health education. It also discusses how health education can be used to help students make good life choices and how teachers can introduce it in their class.
8. Preventing School Failure, Truancy & Dropout
School failure, truancy, and dropouts are a problem for many adolescent students. This lesson will discuss the negative effects of these issues and explore strategies for preventing them.
9. School Crisis Prevention
Crises in schools seem to be happening day after day. How can we keep our schools safe? Prevention may be the answer. This lesson will discuss school crisis prevention.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis School Psychologist (5402): Practice & Study Guide course
- Problem Identification in School Psychology
- Theories of Intelligence
- Developmental Psychology & Measurement
- Assessment & Problem Analysis in School Psychology
- Knowledge of Measurement Theory & Principles
- Psychological Assessment of Special Populations
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in School Settings
- Developing Academic Skills
- Goal Setting & Student Motivation
- Academic Success & Failure
- Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Preventive Strategies for the Classroom
- School-Based Intervention & Techniques
- Child & Adolescent Psychopathology
- School-wide Practices to Promote Learning
- Family-School Collaboration Services
- Individual Learning Characteristics
- Effect of Cultural & Background Differences on Education
- Diversity in Development & Learning
- Education Research & Program Evaluation
- Ethical Principles in Psychology
- Legal Issues in Psychology
- Case Law in Education Psychology
- Professional Foundations: Learning Strategies
- Praxis School Psychologist Flashcards