About This Chapter
Principles of Atomic Structure - Chapter Summary
In these lessons on the principles of atomic structure, you'll review electron configurations in atomic energy levels and the s, p and d orbitals. You can also review the Bohr model and the quantum mechanical model. By the end of the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Explain what electrons do inside an atom
- Recall rules for how electrons fit in the atomic structure
- Write sets of quantum numbers for electrons
- Discuss how light is produced
- Explain the theory of wave-particle duality
- Describe the significance of the de Broglie hypothesis
- Define the Heisenberg uncertainty principle
The easy-to-follow teaching style used by our expert educators can help you quickly get up to speed on principles of atomic structure. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge of topics covered. If you have questions about any of the lesson material, the instructors are here to help.
1. Electron Configurations in Atomic Energy Levels
This lesson will explain what the electrons are doing inside the atom. Tune in to find out how we specify where they are located and how this location description will help us predict an element's properties.
2. Electron Configurations in the s, p & d Orbitals
Getting confused by long lists that start with 1s and seem to go on forever? Don't worry, this lesson on electron configuration will help you understand how to describe electron placement in no time.
3. Atomic Structures: Pauli Exclusion Principle, Aufbau Principle & Hund's Rule
This lesson discusses the three main rules that govern how electrons fit in the atomic structure by filling the shells, subshells, and orbitals. We will also review the basics of quantum numbers before learning these principles.
4. Four Quantum Numbers: Principal, Angular Momentum, Magnetic & Spin
Each electron inside of an atom has its own 'address' that consists of four quantum numbers that communicate a great deal of information about that electron. In this lesson, we will be defining each quantum number and explaining how to write a set of quantum numbers for a specific electron.
5. The Bohr Model and Atomic Spectra
Do you ever wonder where light comes from or how it is produced? In this lesson, we are going to use our knowledge of the electron configurations and quantum numbers to see what goes on during the creation of light.
6. Wave-Particle Duality: Concept, Explanation & Examples
Is light a particle with mass and substance? Or, is it just a wave traveling through space? Most scientists say light is both a particle and a wave! Find out how they came to this strange conclusion as we learn about the theory of wave-particle duality.
7. The de Broglie Hypothesis: Definition & Significance
The de Broglie hypothesis states that particles of matter can behave as both waves and particles, just like light. In this lesson, we'll learn the basics of the de Broglie hypothesis and how it related to other theories released at the same time.
8. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: Definition & Equation
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is one of the core concepts in quantum mechanics. In this lesson, we define the uncertainty principle and learn more about its implications for physical science.
9. The Quantum Mechanical Model: Definition & Overview
Discover the quantum mechanical model of the atom and determine the way in which it is different from the orbital model. Learn about the quantum mechanical properties of electrons, then take a quiz to test what you know.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Entrance Screening Test (NEST): Exam Prep course
- Understanding Cell Biology
- Tools for Studying Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Genetics & Mutations
- Ecology & Ecosystems Overview
- Natural Resources & Humans
- Biology & Technology
- Digestive System Overview
- Respiratory System Basics
- Understanding the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Basics
- Nervous System Overview
- Basics of Reproduction
- Developmental Biology
- Diversity of Animal Life
- Immunology Overview
- Plant Structure & Development
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant Growth Processes
- Systematics in Biology
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Stoichiometry Measurements
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Gases in Chemistry
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- Thermodynamics, Energy & Reactions
- Chemical & Ionic Equilibrium
- Chemical Kinetics & Electrochemistry
- Crystals & Other Solids in Chemistry
- Properties of Solutions in Chemistry
- Surface Chemistry Overview
- Understanding Elements & Periodic Table Blocks
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Coordination Chemistry & Compounds
- Understanding Metallurgy
- Organic Chemistry Compounds & Groups
- Polymer Basics
- Complex Numbers in Algebra
- Understanding Quadratic Equations
- Progressions, Series & Logarithms
- Matrices in Algebra
- Permutations & Combinations
- Probability in Math
- Fundamental Elements of Trigonometry
- Understanding Analytical Geometry
- Differential Calculus & Functions
- Integration in Calculus
- Understanding Vector Algebra
- Measurement & Experimental Design in Physics
- Principles of Mechanics
- Gravitation Principles
- Mechanics in Solids & Fluids
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Sound & Mechanical Waves
- Overview of Thermodynamics in Physics
- Understanding Principles of Electricity
- Magnetism Overview
- Understanding Ray Optics
- Modern Physics Principles
- National Entrance Screening Test (NEST) Flashcards