About This Chapter
Principles of Esterification - Chapter Summary
This mobile-friendly chemistry chapter is taught by expert instructors who break down the principles of esterification in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. You'll review the esterification process, the purpose of refluxing and the properties of alkanol and alkanoic acids. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Recognize the structure and common uses of esters
- Differentiate between alkanol and alkanoic acid groups
- Outline the process of esterification
- Understand why refluxing is important during the esterification process
To help you solidify your understanding of esterification, we've included multiple-choice quizzes that follow each lesson as well as a comprehensive chapter exam. You can use the interactive dashboard to navigate to the esterification topics you want to study. If you need any extra help, simply submit your questions to our instructors.
1. Ester Group: Structure & Overview
In this lesson, you will learn about the structure of an ester. You will also learn about some common uses for esters in chemistry and your everyday life.
2. Alkanol & Alkanoic Acid: Functional Groups & Properties
The purpose of this lesson is to gain an understanding of the fundamental differences between alkanol and alkanoic acid functional groups in organic compounds by exploring their structure, physical properties, and acidity properties.
3. Esterification: Definition, Process & Reactions
In this lesson, we'll learn about esterification, which means we'll define necessary terms to understand esterification, explain the process that chemicals undergo to form esters, and look at examples of reactions that use esterification.
4. Esterification & Reflux: Purpose & Procedure
The goal of this lesson will be to gain an understanding behind both the purpose (reason) and procedure behind refluxing an organic chemistry reaction called an esterification. Proficiency will be gained in how to properly run an esterification under reflux conditions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Chemistry: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Scientific Experimentation in Chemistry
- Chemistry Lab Equipment & Safety
- Measurement & Data in Chemistry
- Scientific Research in Chemistry
- Overview of the Chemistry of the Earth
- Atoms & Molecules in Chemistry
- Properties of Earth Materials
- Metals Overview
- The Periodic Table Overview
- Measuring Amounts of Reactants
- Water in Chemistry
- Solubility of Water
- Specific Heat of Water
- Carbon & Energy
- Combustion Reactions & Energy
- Fossil Fuel Products
- Understanding Biomass Research
- Overview of Renewable Ethanol
- Electrochemistry & Redox Reactions
- Radioactivity in Chemistry
- Indicators in the Acidic Environment
- Understanding Acidic Oxides
- Overview of Acids
- Acid & Base Definitions
- Chemical Monitoring & Management
- Chemical Monitoring in the Environment
- Industrial Chemistry Overview
- Shipwrecks, Corrosion & Conservation
- Biochemistry of Movement
- Biochemical Reactions in Muscle Contractions
- The Chemistry of Art
- Atomic Structure & Transition Elements
- Forensic Chemistry Overview
- DNA & Forensic Evidence
- HSC Chemistry Flashcards