About This Chapter
Principles of Geographic Data & Research - Chapter Summary
Review the principles of geographic data and research and how they are applied with this chapter. Our lessons will help you review the vocabulary associated with this topic. You'll also find out more about present-day uses of geography. Complete this chapter to study:
- The definition of geography
- Basic geographic terms
- How the scientific method can be used in geography
- Spatial perspective in geography
- Contemporary approaches to geographical studies
These lessons were crafted by experts in the field of geography. You can watch the videos and read the transcripts to ensure you understand the importance of this kind of data and research. We also offer quizzes and a chapter test to encourage self-assessment.
1. What is Geography? - Definition, Facts & Types
This lesson will define and explore the study of geography. In doing this, it will also explain the two main branches of geography, which are physical and cultural geography.
2. Basic Geographic Terms: Definitions & Examples
This lesson includes a brief, yet informative introduction to the field of geography. You'll learn what geography is all about, as well as some definitions for basic geographic terms.
3. Using the Scientific Method in Geography
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what the scientific method is, how and why it is used in geography, and give some examples. A short quiz will follow.
4. Developing a Spatial Perspective in Geography
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how and why a spatial perspective is important in geography and describe some of the tools and techniques used to develop such a spatial perspective. A short quiz will follow.
5. Contemporary Approaches in Geography: Area, Spatial, Locational & Geographic Systems Analysis
If geographers study people and places, exactly how do they look at the information they find? In this lesson, we'll examine contemporary approaches to studying geography, including spatial, area, locational, and systems analysis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT World History/Geography (CEOE) (018): Practice & Study Guide course
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Early Civilizations of the Ancient Near East
- Early Indian Civilizations & Empires
- Early Civilizations in Asia
- Early Civilizations in the Americas
- Early African Civilizations
- The Birth of the Muslim World
- Classical Greek Culture & Philosophy
- The Roman Republic Rises
- Fall of the Roman Empire Through the Middle Ages
- Renaissance Europe
- European Religion & Politics During the Reformation
- The Scientific Revolution
- International Exploration & European Expansion
- Enlightenment & the Revolution in Europe
- Revolution in the Americas
- The Industrial Revolution & the Rise of Capitalism
- 19th Century Political & Societal Developments
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Battles & Consequences of World War I
- World War II
- Restructuring the World After World War II
- Decolonization, Revolution & Nationalism After WWII
- Important World Leaders of the 20th Century
- Cultural & Political Developments After WWII
- Geography Tools
- Location & Migration as Geographic Themes
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Weather and Storms
- Overview of Human Geography
- Earth's Energy Resources
- Ecological Problems in the US
- History, People & Geography of the American Midwest
- Oklahoma's Culture, History & Geography
- OSAT World History/Geography (CEOE) (018) Flashcards