About This Chapter
Principles of Marketing & Market Research - Chapter Summary
If you are currently studying subjects from the field of business, it's a good idea to make sure that you study some of the basic principles of marketing and market research. You can study this subject by going through this chapter and watching each of these informative online video lessons. By watching these videos, you will learn about the major topics needed to understand this subject.
This chapter is a great way to learn about the essential definitions and concepts related to marketing in business, as well as some of the different aspects of products and consumer behavior that market researchers focus on. Our lesson instructors all have expertise in these areas. Some of the specific topics you will learn about are:
- The definition and applications of marketing
- The definition, purpose and role of market research
- Establishing a marketing research project
- Marketing controls
- Market segmentation
- Positioning and differentiation in consumer marketing
- Developing and marketing new consumer products
- Types of new products
If you would like to test your understanding of these topics when you have completed the lessons, you can answer the questions found in that lesson's practice quiz. The chapter concludes with a final exam that will help you see how much you recall about the overall subject. You can also use your personal Dashboard to keep track of your learning progress as you finish different lessons.
1. Introduction to Marketing: Definition and Applications
In this introductory video lesson on marketing, you'll learn what marketing is, how it's used to reach consumers and why it's important to businesses. You'll also see how exchange is related to marketing.
2. The Marketing Mix: Product, Place, Price & Promotion
A marketing plan is the central part of the overall marketing strategy. A marketing plan's main focus is the marketing mix, which consists of product, place, promotion and price decisions. All four elements are very flexible and have many options. The main purpose of the marketing mix is to effectively communicate with the target market.
3. Marketing, Production, Sales & Societal Marketing Orientation
You will learn the difference between marketing, production, sales and societal marketing orientations and how it can affect a company's financial success.
4. Marketing Research: Definition, Purpose and Role in Marketing Strategy
If you're a business owner, you need to know your clientele. Watch this lesson to understand the purpose and role of marketing research strategy in an overall marketing plan. This might be just the info you need!
5. How to Establish a Marketing Research Project
Most consumers don't realize how much behind-the-scenes research and analysis goes into the marketing of a product. With millions of dollars at stake, marketers must use information available to formulate a key marketing plan, decision or change in strategy.
6. Marketing Controls: Market Research, Test Marketing & Marketing Statistics
In this lesson, we will explain the purpose of marketing controls and explore related concepts, such as market research, test marketing, and marketing statistics.
7. Market Segmentation: Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic & More
Marketers must be effective at creating niche segments to promote and sell their products or services. There are five specific ways that markets can be segmented in order to create a successful sales opportunity.
8. How to Segment Business Markets Step-by-Step
Discover the four segments of business marketing in this lesson. You will also learn the distinguishing characteristics of each segment so you may easily identify each of them.
9. How to Develop and Market New Consumer Products
In this lesson, you will learn the six stages of the new product development process that companies use when they develop new consumer products. You'll also learn why it is important for companies that develop new consumer products to use this process.
10. Types of New Products: New Product Lines, Product Improvements & More
You will learn about the types of new product categories, such as new product lines or repositioned products, and the new product development process, from idea generation to commercialization.
11. Competitive Advantage: The Importance of Strategic Marketing
Companies have many options when it comes to gaining market share and increasing profits. Learn about strategic marketing and the tools companies use to their advantage.
12. What is a Marketing Plan? - Definition & Sample
In this lesson, we will learn what a marketing plan is and why it is so important for a business to have one. We will cover the specific strategies the plan should have in order to help the organization achieve its goals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Business Education (309): Practice & Study Guide course
- Organizational Management in Business
- Organizational Structures
- Human Resource Management in Business
- Human Resource Laws & Requirements
- Business Law & Ethics
- Government Regulations for Consumer Protection
- Taxation for Corporations
- Business Accounting Overview
- Personal Finance & Consumer Economics
- Consumer Credit
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Computation & Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Microeconomics Fundamentals for Business
- Macroeconomics Principles for Business
- International Business & Trade
- Consumer Behavior & Customer Satisfaction
- Selling & Sales Forecasting
- Fundamentals of E-commerce
- Entrepreneurship & Business Plans
- Business Communication Fundamentals
- Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- Career Development in Business
- NES Business Education Flashcards