About This Chapter
Principles of Nutrition - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors examine the principles of nutrition through concise definitions and simple illustrative examples. As you work through these short and engaging lessons, you'll improve your understanding of nutrients, the digestive systems, balanced diets, malnutrition causes and more. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Identify examples of nutrients
- Discuss the physiological processes and functions of the human digestive system
- Outline the elements of a balanced diet
- Recognize the causes of over-nutrition and under-nutrition
- Describe common drug-herb and drug-nutrient interactions
Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz that's designed to reinforce your understanding of important nutritional terms. To help you make sure you fully understand these concepts, we've included a chapter exam, as well as an Ask the Expert feature that you can use if you need clarification on a lesson topic. Use a computer or mobile device to access the chapter material, and feel free to study at any time that's convenient.
1. What Are Nutrients? - Definition & Examples
This lesson is about nutrients, which are the building blocks of all living organisms. This lesson will explain what nutrients are, the different kinds of nutrients and offer examples of each.
2. The Digestive System: Functions & Physiological Processes
In this lesson, we explore the functions and processes of the digestive system, where the food we eat is broken down and turned into the energy we use to do virtually everything else. A short quiz follows.
3. What is a Balanced Diet? - Definition, Plans & Examples
In this lesson, we'll be covering the much-debated topic of what a balanced diet is. Here, you'll learn to sort through all the fad diets and understand which nutrients really contribute to a healthy, balanced diet.
4. Malnutrition: Causes of Over-nutrition and Under-nutrition & Most Affected Regions
Have you ever thought about your diet and whether or not you are getting the appropriate nutrients you need to remain healthy? In this lesson, we will describe the concept of malnutrition and explore the ways that people's diets can be unbalanced. We will also discuss regions of the world where malnutrition is prevalent and why.
5. Common Drug-Nutrient & Drug-Herb Interactions
Nutrients and the natural compounds found in herbs help your body perform well. However, if you are taking a medication, you need to be aware of potentially dangerous drug and nutrient or drug and herb interactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards