About This Chapter
Principles of Visual Art - Chapter Summary
Enjoy the process of learning about the principles of visual art, like the definition of the principles of art and basic art techniques and principles by viewing short lessons in this chapter. Discover the steps for art criticism. Other subjects you will encounter include the following:
- Examples of the seven elements of art
- Definition of a medium in art
- Use of art for self-expression
Each lesson in this mobile-friendly chapter concludes with a multiple-choice quiz to test your memory. Our instructors are more than happy to answer questions about the lessons and quizzes. They can be reached by clicking the Help tab.
1. What Are the Principles of Art? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be presented with an overview of the basic principles of art, examples of what they are, and how to use them when creating or analyzing an artwork.
2. What Are the Seven Elements of Art? - Definition & Examples
The elements of art are the building blocks of all art. Every piece of art ever created includes one or more of these elements. Learn about line, color, shape, form, value, space, and texture.
3. Fundamental Art Techniques, Processes & Materials
Do you like making things? Have you ever painted a colorful picture or doodled in pen on a notebook? If so, then you've used an art technique! In this lesson, you'll learn some of the basic methods, processes, and materials used to make art.
4. What Is a Medium in Art: Definition & Terms
Explore one of the fundamental ideas in art that affects the creation, design, and reception of every work of art. Test your knowledge about artistic production and art history.
5. Communication & Self-Expression Through Art
Why do people make art? Have you ever taken a brush to paper and used it to pour out frustrations? In this lesson, we'll explore ideas about communication and self-expression through art.
6. Art Criticism: Definition, Steps & Example
In this lesson, we'll learn about the steps involved in art criticism and how they work. We'll also try out our critical-thinking skills on a real-life painting. When you've finished with the lesson, you can use our brief quiz to see how much you know about art criticism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest III (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Understanding Motor & Movement Skills
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Health & Physical Fitness
- Teaching Physical Education
- Motor Learning & Development
- Well Being in Early Childhood
- Social Aspects of Physical Education
- Cognitive & Moral Development in Children
- Social Development From Infancy to Adolescence
- Physical Development From Infancy to Adolescence
- Influences on Adolescent Development
- Principles & Styles of Dance
- Principles of Music
- Musical Periods
- World Music
- Principles of Theatre
- Dramatic Styles
- Visual Art History
- Culture & Visual Arts
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 3 Flashcards