About This Chapter
Print Media in the Digital Age - Chapter Summary
Work through the lessons provided in this chapter on print media in the digital age at your own pace. You'll study the history and evolution of books, the role of books in mass communication and the modern and historical role of censorship in the book industry. Along with each lesson, a short self-assessment quiz tests your understanding of what you've learned. Utilize the Dashboard to monitor your progress through the chapter and submit any questions you have to one of our instructors. Once you complete these lessons, you should be able to:
- Detail the history and evolution of books
- Understand the role of books in mass communication
- Detail modern and historical censorship in the book industry
- Outline the types and usage of books in the digital age
- Recognize the value of books in the digital age
- Explain the origins of newspapers
- Discuss various types of newspapers
- Identify the catalysts of change in newspaper publishing
- Describe the current trends in the newspaper industry
- Give examples of the different types of magazines
- Understand the role and power of advertisers in magazines
- Discuss current trends in the magazine industry
1. History & Evolution of Books
Have you ever wondered how books were invented? In this lesson, we will look at the surprising history of books, including the four main origins. We will also find out how books helped people communicate on a worldwide scale.
2. Books in the Digital Age: Types & Usage
Digital technologies have caused major shifts in the book and publishing industry, adding both strengths and challenges. In this lesson, learn more about books in the digital age, including e-publishing, platforms, and print-on-demand.
3. Recognizing Various Types of Newspapers
From coast to coast, various newspapers connect readers with all they need to know. In this lesson, you'll learn more about dailies, weeklies, and other types of common newspaper publications.
4. Recognizing Different Types of Magazines
If there's a topic you're interested in, there's a magazine title out there for it. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the different types of magazines and the audience that each type is intended for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Mass Media & Communication
- Media Literacy Fundamentals
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Television & Movies in the Digital Age
- Video Games in the Digital Age