About This Chapter
Print Media in the Digital Age - Chapter Summary
Work through the lessons provided in this chapter on print media in the digital age at your own pace. You'll study the history and evolution of books, the role of books in mass communication and the modern and historical role of censorship in the book industry. Along with each lesson, a short self-assessment quiz tests your understanding of what you've learned. Utilize the Dashboard to monitor your progress through the chapter and submit any questions you have to one of our instructors. Once you complete these lessons, you should be able to:
- Detail the history and evolution of books
- Understand the role of books in mass communication
- Detail modern and historical censorship in the book industry
- Outline the types and usage of books in the digital age
- Recognize the value of books in the digital age
- Explain the origins of newspapers
- Discuss various types of newspapers
- Identify the catalysts of change in newspaper publishing
- Describe the current trends in the newspaper industry
- Give examples of the different types of magazines
- Understand the role and power of advertisers in magazines
- Discuss current trends in the magazine industry
1. History & Evolution of Books
Have you ever wondered how books were invented? In this lesson, we will look at the surprising history of books, including the four main origins. We will also find out how books helped people communicate on a worldwide scale.
2. Understanding the Role of Books in Mass Communication
This lesson is going to go over how books play a role in mass communication, even to this day. You'll also learn about some of the many different types and categories of books around.
3. Historical & Modern Censorship in the Book Industry
Print media has been subject to various forms of censorship for thousands of years. This lesson explores the characteristics of censorship, the methods used to carry it out, and examples of its practice in historical and modern times.
4. Books in the Digital Age: Types & Usage
Digital technologies have caused major shifts in the book and publishing industry, adding both strengths and challenges. In this lesson, learn more about books in the digital age, including e-publishing, platforms, and print-on-demand.
5. Recognizing the Values of Books in the Digital Age
The digital age has changed the way we consume information and media. In this lesson, we discuss what the digital age has meant for books and their value in society.
6. Exploring the Origins of Newspapers
Newspapers have been around for millennia, not just since the invention of the printing press. In this lesson you will learn about the history of newspapers and what they have meant for freedom of the press and freedom of speech.
7. Recognizing Various Types of Newspapers
From coast to coast, various newspapers connect readers with what they need to know. In this lesson, you'll learn more about dailies, weeklies, and other common types of newspaper publications.
8. Identifying Catalysts of Change in Newspaper Publishing
When was the last time that you read any type of newspaper? Learn why the newspaper publishing industry has changed and what papers are doing to stay viable in the 21st century.
9. Understanding Current Trends in the Newspaper Industry
The Internet and digital publishing technologies have transformed the newspaper business. Learn about seven trends that have emerged as technology has changed the face of newspapers in the 21st century.
10. Digital Communication Case Studies: Buzzfeed, Vice & Huffington Post
The Information Age has dramatically altered the landscape of print media, but easy access to digital content doesn't have to be the death knell for print media organizations. These case studies demonstrate how digital-only publications can be the future for companies currently relying on print media.
11. Recognizing Different Types of Magazines
If there's a topic you're interested in, there's a magazine title out there for it. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the different types of magazines and the audience for which each type is intended.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Mass Media & Communication
- Media Literacy Fundamentals
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Radio & Recording in the Digital Age
- Television & Movies in the Digital Age
- Video Games in the Digital Age