About This Chapter
Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find a series of video lessons on chance, probability and fundamental counting techniques. Our videos cover the definition of probability and sample space in statistics, among other topics. We've designed this chapter to ensure that once it's completed, you should be able to:
- Provide an overview of probability in math
- Discuss the probability of compound, complementary and simple events
- Detail the lists and models used to demonstrate simple and compound event probability
- Define intersections, unions and elements of mathematical sets
- Give a definition and examples of fundamental counting principles
- Explain the concept of sample space in statistics
- Describe the formulas used for combinations and permutations
Take your time as you work through the lessons, and review them as many times as needed. You can also use the timeline to easily navigate the videos and go back to specific sections. Before taking a test or moving on to other subjects, answer the questions on the self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter test to make sure you're ready.
1. What is Probability in Math? - Definition & Overview
Remember throwing a quarter and calling out heads or tails? Learn what this has to do with probability. Also learn how you can use your newly-learned skills from this lesson to help you decide whether you should play heads or tails at all!
2. Probability of Simple, Compound and Complementary Events
Simple, compound, and complementary events are different types of probabilities. Each of these probabilities are calculated in a slightly different fashion. In this lesson, we will look at some real world examples of these different forms of probability.
3. Simple & Compound Event Probability: Lists & Models
In this lesson, you will learn about simple and compound probability through the use of theoretical probability examples. The examples will include models using dice, marbles, cards, spinners, and tiles.
4. Mathematical Sets: Elements, Intersections & Unions
Today we're going to explore mathematical sets, which are surprisingly simple! Sets are just collections of any objects or concepts, also known as elements, that can be related to each other through union or intersection.
5. Fundamental Counting Principle: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the fundamental counting principle, a method for determining how many ways choices can be made from groups. Several examples will be given.
6. Sample Space in Statistics: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of sample space - an important concept in the study of probability. Examples and quiz questions will illustrate how this concept exists in the real world.
7. Combination: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify combinations of objects. We'll also look at various formulas that allow us to calculate the number of possible combinations in a given scenario.
8. Permutation: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine a mathematical method of calculating the number of ways in which we can order a group of distinct objects. This involves the use of a mathematical concept known as a permutation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards