About This Chapter
Probability & Events - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers lessons that provide an in-depth look at probability and events. Prepared by experts with a wealth of math knowledge, the lessons can help you understand a variety of related definitions, formulas and examples. Review these lessons to improve your ability to:
- Define and describe probability in math
- Understand the probability of simple, compound and complementary events
- Describe the formula for mutually exclusive events in statistics
- Predict results of experiments and stimulations by using proportionality and probability
- Share the meaning of the tree diagram, and describe how it is used
- Demonstrate how to calculate probabilities for simple compound events
Review video or text lessons using your computer or mobile devices anywhere you can access an Internet connection. Enjoy the ability to access these lessons at your own pace as you ensure you fully understand probability and events. Test your knowledge by taking short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Feel free to submit any questions about lesson topics to our experts.
1. What is Probability in Math? - Definition & Overview
Remember throwing a quarter and calling out heads or tails? Learn what this has to do with probability. Also learn how you can use your newly-learned skills from this lesson to help you decide whether you should play heads or tails at all!
2. Probability of Simple, Compound and Complementary Events
Simple, compound, and complementary events are different types of probabilities. Each of these probabilities are calculated in a slightly different fashion. In this lesson, we will look at some real world examples of these different forms of probability.
3. Mutually Exclusive in Statistics: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss mutually exclusive events in statistics. We will talk about the definition, give many real-life examples, and compare mutually exclusive events to independent events.
4. Probability Applications: Making Predictions
Let's examine how we can make predictions of outcomes using the application of probability as our tool to help forecast possible results. We will cover how to solve for the probability and the terms associated with making predictions.
5. Tree Diagrams in Math: Definition & Examples
Explore what a tree diagram is and how to use it to organize information and answer questions about various outcomes of a particular event in this lesson. See how to create a tree diagram through multiple examples and a detailed explanation.
6. Simple & Compound Event Probability: Lists & Models
In this lesson, you will learn about simple and compound probability through the use of theoretical probability examples. The examples will include models using dice, marbles, cards, spinners, and tiles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards