About This Chapter
Probability in Math - Chapter Summary
Going through the video lessons in this chapter allows you to review and learn more about the different rules that are followed in math when it comes to probability. There are addition rules, multiplication rules and even theorems to follow when using probability. By the time you complete this chapter, you should feel confident in your abilities to:
- Define probability
- Distinguish the difference between independent and dependent events
- Explain the difference between mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive events
- Identify the multiplication rules in probability
- Review what the Bayes' theorem is and how it is used
Our lessons are interactive, short, and taught by expert math instructors. The video lessons walk you through multiple topics that you may encounter when trying to solve probability problems. When you complete each lesson, gauge how much you know by taking a short quiz. You will get quick feedback as well, which will give you the chance to go back into the lessons and re-review anything you missed on the quiz.
1. What is Probability in Math? - Definition & Overview
Remember throwing a quarter and calling out heads or tails? Learn what this has to do with probability. Also learn how you can use your newly-learned skills from this lesson to help you decide whether you should play heads or tails at all!
2. Probability of Independent and Dependent Events
Sometimes probabilities need to be calculated when more than one event occurs. These types of compound events are called independent and dependent events. Through this lesson, we will look at some real-world examples of how to calculate these probabilities.
3. The Addition Rule of Probability: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the differences between mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive events and how to find the probabilities of each using the Addition Rule of Probability.
4. The Multiplication Rule of Probability: Definition & Examples
The Multiplication Rule of Probability is a concept you will use frequently when solving probability equations. In this lesson, learn the two different scenarios in which you will use the multiplication rule of probability.
5. Bayes' Theorem: Definition, Formula & Usage
Using Bayes' Theorem allows you to revise probability values when making decisions. This lesson explains what Bayes' Theorem is and how it is applied in decision making.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards