About This Chapter
Problem Solving for Exam Takers- Chapter Summary
If you need to improve your problem-solving skills for an upcoming exam, you've come to the right place. This collection of short and informative lessons breaks down a variety of mathematical processes and shows you the steps needed to solve different types of math problems, including problems with systems of equations, percents and absolute values. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Estimate with fractions
- Solve problems involving fractions, mixed numbers, complex fractions, decimal numbers and percents
- Practice solving linear equations and inequalities
- Complete systems of equations problems
- Graph and solve absolute value equations and inequalities
Each lesson comes with a self-assessment quiz to help you practice your problem-solving skills on your own. These video lessons also come with printable transcripts that you can study after watching the lessons. Study on your own schedule and use any Internet-connected device to access the chapter material.
1. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
2. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
3. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
4. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
5. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
6. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
7. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
8. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
9. Solving a System of Equations with Two Unknowns
When you have two variables and two equations, is solving the problem four times as hard? No! Not when you use the substitution or elimination method to solve systems of equations. We'll practice both in this lesson.
10. Solving Problems Involving Systems of Equations
Did you ever encounter a problem where you seem to have lots of information, but still have a couple of critical numbers missing? In this lesson, we'll practice solving word problems that require us to set up systems of equations.
11. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
12. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
13. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
14. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
15. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Test: Online Prep and Review course
- GMAT: About the Test
- GMAT Analytical Writing Assessment Overview & Best Practices
- Writing Skills for Exam Takers
- GMAT Quantitative Section: About the Quantitative Section
- GMAT Integrated Reasoning: Types of Questions & Overview
- Fundamentals of Arithmetic for the GMAT
- Advanced Arithmetic Key Concepts
- Mathematical Patterns
- Reviewing Basic Algebra Concepts
- Reviewing Basic Geometry Concepts
- Strategies for Solving Math Word Problems
- Numerical Ability: Reasoning & Data Interpretation
- Interpreting Data & Statistics
- Answering Data Sufficiency GMAT Questions
- GMAT Verbal Section
- Test-Taking Strategies for the GMAT
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Sentence Correction Techniques
- English Usage Conventions in Writing
- GMAT Test Flashcards