About This Chapter
Problem-Solving in Real World Math - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline some great tips to help you solve real-world math problems with ease. These lessons cover solving equations with multiple steps and how to solve problems involving money and interest. These short video and text lessons are easy to follow and are designed by professional instructors who know how to make learning fun. The lessons have related quizzes you can take to make sure you're ready for any upcoming tests. If you find you need to go back and review just one part of a video lesson, you can do so easily by using the video tabs feature. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Solve math equations involving multiple steps
- Use proportions to solve real world math problems
- Answer math problems about money
- Understand the steps needed to solve interest problems
1. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
2. Constructing Proportions to Solve Real World Problems
In this lesson, we will concentrate on proportions. Through definition and example, we will learn how to construct proportions and how to use proportions to solve real world problems.
3. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
4. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Math course
- Number Systems & Theory
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Graphing Lines & Inequalities
- Proportional Relationships & Linear Equations
- 6th-8th Grade Algebra: Systems of Linear Equations
- Graphical Transformations
- Geometry of Congruent & Similar Figures
- Geometry & Properties of Triangles
- Geometry of Three-Dimensional Objects
- Evaluating & Calculating Probability
- Measuring & Graphing Statistical Distributions