About This Chapter
Problem Solving in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Instructors have put together this chapter to help your employees learn strategies to help them deal with complex issues in the workplace. The following topics are highlighted in this chapter:
- Problem-solving tools associated with high-performance teams
- Different kinds of problem-solving strategies
- The common sense approach
- Skills for problem-solving
- Reframing to solve problems
The interactive video lessons within this corporate training chapter are great for testing employees' knowledge of dealing with difficult issues. You can suggest that your employees take the self-assessment quizzes as a way of evaluating their own retention.
How It Helps
- Teaches strategies: Important strategies are taught in this chapter, helping your employees solve multifaceted issues the right way.
- Prepares employees: After seeing what types of problems professionals have to deal with in the workplace, your employees will become more adept at handling them.
- Emphasizes tools: Problem-solving tools are outlined in this chapter, giving employees great resources they can use to become more successful.
When your employees work through this chapter, they will be able to:
- Learn how effective managers deal with problems
- Examine the different problems that pop up in the workplace
- Define reframing
- Determine the benefits of positive reframing
- Identify the four types of problem-solving tools
1. Problem Solving in Organizations: Skills, Steps & Strategies
We all have a variety of problems to solve at work each day. You can learn more about some of the ways that effective managers deal with problems and overcome even the toughest challenges in this lesson.
2. Types of Problems & Problem Solving Strategies
We solve hundreds of small problems everyday. This lesson covers different types of problems, such as routine vs. non-routine, and many of the different problem-solving strategies we use, including algorithms, heuristics, graphic representations and the IDEAL Strategy.
3. Problem Solving with Reframing: Definition & Examples
Every day we are faced with problems that we need to solve in our personal and professional lives. This lesson will discuss problem solving using reframing.
4. The Common Sense Approach to Team Problem Solving
A successful team works together to achieve a common goal. During this process, teams need to resolve problems together. This lesson will address the common sense approach to team problem solving.
5. Problem Solving in High-Performing Teams
In this lesson, you'll see how high-performing teams solve problems and learn what makes a good team member. You'll see how they work together and how they solve any personal differences they have with each other.
6. Practical Application: Problem Solving Checklist for Supervisors
This checklist will help you when trying to solve a problem in the workplace. Here, you'll be able to see a list of questions to ask yourself to help guide you to a solution to any workplace problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.