About This Chapter
Process of DNA Replication - Chapter Summary
This chapter is filled with engaging videos you can watch anytime, day or night, to learn more about the process of DNA replication. These lessons provide an in-depth exploration of enzymes, helicase, DNA polymerase and much more. Review this chapter at your own pace to fully absorb the concepts it covers. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define DNA replication and discuss conservative, semi-conservative and dispersive models
- Explain how helicase unwinds the DNA double helix to prepare for replication
- Describe how RNA primase and DNA polymerase initiate DNA replication
- Discuss the leading strand and DNA polymerase activities in DNA replication
- Provide details about DNA replication as it relates to enzymes, replication bubbles and lagging strands
Tailor your review of DNA replication to your busy schedule by accessing the lessons anywhere with an Internet connection, using your smartphone, tablet or computer. Watch the videos on your device of choice, or print full transcripts of the lessons to review when you're offline. Before, during or after reviewing the lessons, test your knowledge of the concepts they cover by taking their accompanying self-assessment quizzes. If you have questions about the topics examined in this chapter, don't hesitate to send them to our experts.
1. What Is DNA Replication? - Conservative, Semi-Conservative & Dispersive Models
How do we know that DNA replication is semi-conservative? How do we know it's not conservative or dispersive? Let's follow the famous experiment by Meselson and Stahl to find out!
2. How Helicase Unwinds the DNA Double Helix in Preparation for Replication
How does semi-conservative replication begin? Discover how DNA helicase creates a replication fork to unwind the complicated DNA molecule and allow daughter strands to form on the parental template.
3. How DNA Polymerase and RNA Primase Initiate DNA Replication
How do enzymes assist in starting DNA replication? In this lesson, we explore the work of a contributing enzyme, DNA polymerase, and learn how the RNA primer is made by the action of RNA primase.
4. DNA Replication: The Leading Strand and DNA Polymerase Activities
How does replication occur in the antiparallel DNA molecule? In this lesson, explore the significance of the leading and lagging strands, and learn how Okazaki fragments and RNA ligase make DNA replication possible.
5. DNA Replication: Review of Enzymes, Replication Bubbles & Leading and Lagging Strands
Feeling lost in the thorny details of DNA replication? This lesson provides an overview of semi-conservative replication, with a focus on putting together all of the concepts involved. We'll review the work of each enzyme on our way to completing the big picture of DNA replication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 (004): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Structure and Behavior of Matter
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Gas Laws
- Properties of Waves
- Electricity and Magnetic Force
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum and Electric Units
- Plate Tectonics and Dating Methods
- Cycles and Layers of the Earth
- Space Science
- Cell Biology
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Chemical Reactions of Metabolism
- Overview of Cell Division
- Biology of Genetics
- Plant Biology Overview
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Biological Evolution & Natural Selection
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Microbiology Overview
- Ecology & Florida
- Analyzing Scientific Data
- Scientific Principles
- FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 Flashcards