About This Chapter
Production & Quality Assurance Overview - Chapter Summary
This online professional development chapter helps employees review basic concepts related to production and quality assurance in organizations. Assign the chapter to any employee who needs to learn or review the fundaments of total quality management (TQM), ISO 9000, productivity, quality, profitability, management roles and more. The chapter is accessible online at any time of day or night, which helps employees review the material whenever they need it. We've also included short quizzes that reinforce the lesson topics.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps employees become aware of the principles, applications, and implementation of TQM.
- Discusses ISO 9000 certification: A lesson outlines the purpose of ISO 9000 and whats needed for certification.
- Strengthens quality assurance skills: Employees who complete the chapter should be able to improve their total quality management knowledge and ability to assess product quality.
By the end of the chapter, your employees will be able to:
- Describe the foundations of productivity, profitability, quality and managerial roles
- Define the five principles of TQM
- Explain how organizations go about implementing TQM
- Identify TQM contributors
- Discuss the process of obtaining ISO 9000 certification
1. Productivity, Quality, Profitability and the Role of Managers
Top-, mid- and low-level managers play a significant role in how productivity and quality affects profitability in an organization. Each level of management makes different decisions about productivity and quality that impact an organization's profitability.
2. Five Principles of Total Quality Management (TQM)
Total quality management (TQM) is achieved and becomes part of the overall organizational culture when the five principles - produce quality work the first time, focus on the customer, have a strategic approach to improvement, improve continuously and encourage mutual respect and teamwork - are practiced by all employees.
3. Practical Application: Five Principles of TQM Infographic
Total Quality Management (TQM) is an organizational model that places an emphasis on meeting customer expectations while operating efficiently and effectively. The model has been adopted by numerous organizations all around the world.
4. Implementing Total Quality Management (TQM) in an Organization
When an organization adopts total quality management, they are really creating a new culture of customer satisfaction and quality products and services utilizing the skills of highly qualified employees and strong supplier relations to meet and exceed organizational goals.
5. Deming, Juran & Crosby: Contributors to TQM
W. Edwards Deming, Joseph Juran and Philip B. Crosby are three of the most influential people involved in the shift from production and consumption to total quality management (TQM). Their work significantly impacted how industries view customer satisfaction, employee needs and supplier relations.
6. ISO 9000 Certification
An organization that is ISO 9000 certified believes in quality management systems that are focused on the needs of customers, employees, shareholders and suppliers while complying with statutory and regulatory guidelines for products and services.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Management: Skills Development & Training course
- Management Overview
- Classical School of Management Overview
- Behavioral School of Management Theory Overview
- Contemporary & Future School of Management Theory Overview
- Planning in Organizations Overview
- Organizational Change Overview
- Organizing in Business Management Overview
- Work Teams Overview
- Leading in Organizations Overview
- Leadership Theory Overview
- Motivation in the Workplace Overview
- Communication in the Workplace Overview
- Controlling in Organizations Overview
- Human Resources Overview
- Strategic Management & Managerial Decision Making Overview
- International Management & Contemporary Issues Overview