About This Chapter
Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors present ethical practices and tips for professional care in nursing in this comprehensive study guide chapter. When working through these lessons, you'll have access to information about the roles and skills required of a critical care nurse and the synergy model of nursing. Work at your own pace as you review the advocacy skills needed for patient-centered nurses and the nine provisions in the nursing code of ethics. You should be able to complete the following after working through this chapter:
- Outline the priorities, care plans and management associated with critical care nursing
- Describe what a successful collaborative nursing team sounds like
- Detail the importance of cultural competence in nursing
- Define systems thinking skills as they're used in nursing
- Explain the impact of the nurse educator
- Identify the fundamental purposes of patient education
- Discuss how nurses can work to improve their clinical inquiry skills
You can access these tools 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer. Help from an instructor is available in the Dashboard, where you can submit any questions that you might have. The lesson quizzes and chapter test also offer a great way to assess your understanding and clarify any topics you're struggling to comprehend.
1. Critical Care Nurse: Qualities, Skills & Roles
Critical care nursing is an exciting and challenging field. This lesson describes the numerous qualities, skills, and roles required of a critical care nurse.
2. Synergy Model of Nursing
In this lesson, we'll explore the AACN Synergy Model in nursing. You'll learn what the model is used for, how to apply the model in nursing care, and what the numbering system entails.
3. Advocacy Skills Needed to Deliver Patient-Centered Nursing Care
The patient and their families are the most important people on the healthcare team. This lesson presents patient-centered care guidelines and advocacy skills needed to support patients best outcomes.
4. Ethics and Values in Nursing
Many professions have their own code of ethics, including nursing. This lesson will walk you through the nine provisions within the nursing code of ethics and how to interpret these in your own practices.
5. Critical Care Nursing Priorities
A critical care nurse is faced with managing the care for those patients with life-threatening medical issues. In this lesson we will discover how a critical care nurse prioritizes the care of a patient.
6. Critical Care Nursing Care Plans
Critical care nursing is a demanding job for nurses. The patients are very ill and require specialized care designed by critical care nurses and established care plans depending on patient condition. In this lesson, we will review critical care nursing care plans.
7. Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis & Management
Critical care nursing involves quick decisions in a fast, emergency environment. CCNs need knowledge in observation, monitoring, information sharing, teamwork, and medication safety for diagnosis and management of patients.
8. Collaborative Care: Nursing in Team-Based Settings
This lesson will discuss interprofessional collaboration in healthcare. We will define this concept, explain its benefits, specify what is required to make it work, and describe the nurse's role.
9. Cultural Competence in Nursing
An innocent word or gesture on a nurse's part can cause distress to a patient of a different culture. This is why cultural competence is so important. This lesson defines and explains this topic.
10. Developing Systems Thinking Skills in Nursing
This lesson will discuss the definition of systems thinking, why it is important for nurses to approach healthcare with this type of thinking, and ways to do that.
11. Facilitating Learning in Nursing Programs
A nurse educator's position often requires them to extend beyond the role of a traditional educator. Read on to learn how nurse educators make such a big impact on the student experience and profession.
12. Nursing & Patient Education: Purpose, Assumptions & Topics
In this lesson, you're going to take a close look at the fundamental and important purposes, assumptions, and topics involved in appropriate client (patient) education.
13. Clinical Inquiry Skills in Nursing
Clinical inquiry skills are necessary in nursing to ensure that best practices are followed. In this lesson, we will learn more about clinical inquiry skills and how to use them to identify best practices in nursing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions