About This Chapter
Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers - Chapter Summary
Refresh your memory concerning professional development for physical education teachers by taking a close look at these lessons. Our instructors have designed this chapter to help you go over the most pertinent information, including the following:
- Tips for effective teaching
- Encouraging physical activity and socializing students
- Types of professional development and connected benefits
- Facilitating change through the reflective cycle
- Becoming a reflective educator by incorporating resources
- Touting the benefits of physical activity to the community and students
To cover such a range of topics, we have divided the chapter into bite-size lessons. We deliberately keep our lessons short to help keep you focused as you review the materials. Additionally, since we only cover a single topic per lesson, it makes it easier for you to navigate our chapters and find the exact information you want to brush up on. It also lets you skip what you already know.
Our lessons include organized, text-based articles. Topic headers display the major concepts within each lesson. Key terms are highlighted in bold, and some key terms may be hyperlinked to other lessons. We tend to incorporate visual aids with our lessons, which may include pictures, graphics, or even entire videos. Remember that we offer you 24/7 access to our study materials. Just log into your user dashboard and find the review lessons you need.
1. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
2. The Teacher's Role in Socializing Students to Be Physically Active
In this lesson, you'll find out what role a teacher can play in encouraging students to move more. The lesson presents reasons why this topic is important and gives teachers new ideas for physical activity in the classroom.
3. Professional Development for Educators: Benefits & Types
Completing your degree and obtaining professional certification are only the first steps in a teaching career. Professional development involving ongoing reflection, focused study, and targeted conversation with colleagues ensures best practices are being implemented for overall student success.
4. Using the Reflective Cycle to Facilitate Change
When things aren't going well in the classroom, what steps can you take to make a change? This lesson looks at how to use a reflective cycle to gain insight and make conscious improvements.
5. Using Resources to Develop & Grow As a Reflective Professional
Teaching is a career in which you spend your life learning and growing. There are many resources available for teachers to help them grow and develop as reflective professionals. This lesson details some of those resources and how to use them.
6. Promoting Physical Activity in School & the Community
Are you aware of the many benefits that physical exercise can have on our schools and the surrounding community? In this lesson, we discuss ways to promote physical activity in both these venues and offer a variety of ideas to enhance health, fitness, and wellness.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the FTCE Physical Education K-12 (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Philosophy of Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Human Growth & Development
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Physical Activity & Fitness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity
- Assessment in Physical Education
- Positive Learning Environments
- Sports & Recreation
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- FTCE Physical Education K-12 Flashcards