About This Chapter
Professional Development for School Counselors - Chapter Summary
In most all professions, continuing education and professional development are necessary to stay on top of current trends and research. School counselors are offered several opportunities to meet these requirements. In this chapter, you'll review the technology involved in using webinars and the educational requirements expected of counselors. By the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with:
- The benefits of webinars
- Distinguishing between counseling licensure and certification requirements
- Educational and competency standards for the counseling profession
See how well you understand the information detailed in each section by taking the lesson quizzes, and then the more detailed chapter exam. These assessments are designed to help you determine if there are any areas you may need to re-examine. The quiz worksheets and transcripts for video lessons are printable so they can be used as hard-copy study material. If you have any questions while studying the information in this chapter, instructors are always available to answer them as promptly as possible.
1. What Is a Webinar? - Definition & Tools
Explore how webinars are used for interactive presentations over the Internet to a remote audience. Learn the basic technology involved and gain an understanding of the benefits of this presentation medium.
2. Counselor Licensing and Certification Requirements
Have you wondered about licensure or certification as a counselor? Are you curious about the difference between them? In this lesson, we will be looking at licensure and certification, what the differences and similarities are, and the requirements.
3. Education and Competencies of a Professional Counselor
Professional counselors must obtain a satisfactory education with experiences that prepare them to practice on their own. This lesson is an overview of the education, licensure, and continued competency of a typical counselor.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Professional School Counselor (5421): Practice & Study Guide course
- The History & Role of School Counselors
- Understanding Human Growth & Development
- Theories of Identity Formation & Social Development
- Ethics & School Counseling
- School and System Governance
- Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Guidance & Counseling Strategies for Schools
- Group Counseling
- Teaching Students About Career Development
- Instructional & Behavioral Management Strategies in Class
- Crisis Intervention for School Counselors
- Student Diversity & Issues in School Counseling
- Consultation in School Counseling
- Interventions & Accommodations in School Counseling
- Management in School Counseling
- Accountability in School Counseling
- Assessment Issues in School Counseling
- School Counseling & Student Outcomes
- Praxis Professional School Counselor Flashcards