About This Chapter
Professional Development in Occupational Therapy - Chapter Summary
From online publications to workshops, this chapter covers several ways in which occupational therapists can use available sources to continue developing their careers. You will learn how to access and use resources designed to support the professional development of occupational therapists.
You will also find lessons devoted to research methodologies for both students and professionals in this field. After you have completely reviewed this chapter and understood all of the topics discussed, you should be able to:
- List various professional development resources for occupational therapists
- Evaluate research sources and assess source reliability and validity
- Apply methods for locating viable research materials
- Describe what peer-reviewed scholarly journals are and provide examples
Video and text lessons contain expert instruction, definitions and detailed examples to make learning about this material easy and accessible. Lessons are available at all times, on any device, so study is self-paced and convenient for any schedule. Track your progress on your Dashboard and take self-assessment quizzes that will help to determine your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
1. Professional Development Methods in Occupational Therapy
In this lesson, we will explore the methods for professional development in the occupational therapy profession, and identify service competency activities.
2. Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
Not everything you read on the Internet is true. This video will help you navigate through different online sources and evaluate the validity of those sources to ensure that you can trust the information you use as part of your research.
3. Tips for Locating Research Materials
The process of preparing a research paper for academic or employment purposes can be a difficult task. There are some basic tips for how to locate research materials such as online, books, periodicals, etc.
4. Assessing the Reliability and Validity of Sources
In the business world, any research material must have support that can provide validity and reliability. The support must be credible and have documentation to show that it is well-researched, professional, peer-reviewed and recent.
5. Peer Reviewed Scholarly Journal: Definition & Examples
Find out what peer-reviewed scholarly journals are and how to find them. Learn what qualities to look for in peer-reviewed journals and see some examples. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NBCOT COTA Exam: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Prenatal & Infant Development
- Childhood & Adolescent Development
- Types of Development in Adults
- Understanding Atypical Development
- General Medical Conditions & Vocabulary
- Neurological Conditions
- Musculoskeletal Conditions
- Evaluations in Occupational Therapy
- Frames of Reference & Models in Occupational Therapy
- Developing OT Treatment Plans
- Advocating for OT Client & Community Needs
- Implementation of OT Treatment Plans
- Groups in Occupational Therapy
- Feeding & Eating Skills for Occupational Therapy
- Orthotic & Prosthetic Devices
- Using Assistive Technology
- Environmental Accessibility
- Laws & Regulations in Occupational Therapy
- Ethics & Safety in Occupational Therapy