About This Chapter
Professional Environment for Teachers - Chapter Summary
In a mobile-friendly and accessible format, our expert instructors present an overview of a professional environment for teachers in this chapter. When you study these lessons, you'll review parent and caregiver involvement in education and successful communication with families from diverse backgrounds. Additional topics include colleague collaboration for improved student learning and community relations in the school setting. You should be able to complete the following once you've reviewed these lessons:
- Understand collaboration with student and family advocates
- Collaborate in a professional learning community
- Utilize digital tools for professional collaboration and learning in education
- Detail the benefits of lifelong learning
- Use activities for teacher professional development
- Discuss in-school resources that can be used for teacher professional development
- Provide examples of self-evaluation in teaching
- Define the methods used in reflective teaching
You can confidently take on even the toughest topics when you have study help from these engaging learning resources. Clear, concise lessons outline these topics, while the self-assessment quizzes help you stay on track and test your exam readiness. So you can study on your own schedule, all of the resources available in this chapter are mobile-friendly and accessible to you any time.
1. Involving Parents & Caregivers in Student Education
Educators know students are most successful when parents and caregivers are involved in their child's education. How can teachers and administrators engage parents? This lesson presents ways to provide varied and meaningful engagement.
2. Communicating with Families of Diverse Backgrounds
In this lesson, we'll learn about interacting with families of diverse backgrounds. We'll explore the challenges and rewards involved in this process, and we'll highlight tips that aid in the communication process.
3. Collaborating with Colleagues to Improve Student Learning
As a teacher, you are not alone. You have a variety of other professionals to call upon to help improve student learning. In this lesson, we look at how to leverage their expertise to improve outcomes.
4. Community Relations within a School Setting
In this lesson, we will explain how to develop and implement relations between a school and a community that effectively involve and inform the students, faculty, families, and the community at large.
5. Collaborating with Advocates that Serve Students & Families
This lesson reviews the strategies schools can apply to fulfill their important role in collaborating effectively with the many institutions in the community that serve students and families.
6. Collaborating in a Professional Learning Community
Working in a professional learning community (PLC) impacts the teachers in the group, their peers and students. In this lesson, you will learn how a PLC can contribute to growth for all three groups.
7. Using Digital Tools for Professional Learning & Collaboration in Education
This lesson is a guide to a few great digital tools, which teachers can use to participate in professional learning networks. Also, to communicate and collaborate with parents/guardians, peers, and others in the educational community.
8. What Is Lifelong Learning? - Definition & Benefits
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of lifelong learning, as well as several of the benefits that come with it. Additionally, you'll see examples of how lifelong learning positively impacts everyday life.
9. Teacher Professional Development Activities
In this lesson, we will discuss why professional development is essential for teachers and types of professional development activities. We will also briefly cover state requirements and paying for professional development.
10. In-School Resources for Teacher Professional Development
Being a successful teacher requires you to constantly learn and expand your craft. Learn about ways you can develop your teaching profession through your own school and district as well as some unique opportunities for professional development online.
11. Self-Evaluation in Teaching: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine some methods that teachers can use to self-evaluate their professional practice so that professional development opportunities can be targeted to meet their needs.
12. What is Reflective Teaching? - Definition & Methods
Find out what reflective teaching is and how to apply it in your teaching practice. Learn basic methods of reflective teaching. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Indiana Core Assessments P-12 Education: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Human Development Theories & Processes
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Variations in Students
- Individualizing Instruction for Students with Cognitive Impairments
- Developmental Challenges in Childhood & Adolescence
- Student Diversity & Learning Promotion
- Gifted Student Education
- Second Language Acquisition & Instruction
- Overview of Learning Theories
- Factors Influencing Student Learning
- Curriculum & Instructional Planning
- Instructional Resources
- Promoting Student Learning
- Differentiating Instruction
- Culturally Competent & Relevant Instruction
- Digital Tools & Technology in the Classroom
- Reading Instruction Strategies
- Communication Theory & Methods for the Classroom
- Student Motivation & Engagement
- Indiana Student Assessment Strategies
- Adapting Student Assessments
- Interpreting & Communicating Assessment Results
- Creating Positive Learning Environments
- Classroom Management Approaches
- Legal & Ethical Considerations in Education
- Indiana Core Assessments P-12 Education Flashcards