About This Chapter
Professional Issues in Education - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for an overview of issues in the education profession, you're in the right place. This chapter offers a handful of engaging lessons that break down matters related to teacher rights, responsibilities, roles, relationships, ethics and laws. You'll also examine the path to becoming an effective teacher. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Describe teacher roles, rights and legal responsibilities
- Recognize the elements of becoming an effective instructor
- Identify factors that can affect teaching
- Interpret laws related to student-teacher relationships
- Outline the teaching profession's code of ethical conduct
Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you retain the information you study. Revisit the lessons as many times as needed, and be sure to reach out to our education experts online if you have any questions. The chapter is available 24/7, which makes it easy to review these education issues at any time that fits your schedule.
1. What are the Roles of a Teacher?
Educating is just one of the many things you will have to do in your role as teacher. This lesson will detail several of the key roles teachers play in classrooms and schools.
2. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
3. Factors Affecting Teaching
There are several factors that influence classroom teaching. They include parent expectations with regards to teacher communication, socioeconomic conditions, and school policies such as those related to attendance and discipline.
4. Legal Responsibilities of Teachers
State governments are mainly responsible for legislation involving how schools operate, but there is also federal legislation that helps protect students' rights. In this lesson, we will discuss the legal responsibilities of classroom teachers.
5. Teachers' Rights in the Classroom
As teachers, we often feel that we have lost a lot of our rights when we enter the classroom. However, though our profession comes with certain limitations, we still retain certain rights. In this lesson, we will look at the rights of teachers within the classroom.
6. Student-Teacher Relationship Laws
In this lesson, we will examine the ethical and legal ramifications of a teacher and student getting involved in an inappropriate relationship. We'll also look at how the age and status of both parties can change which laws apply.
7. Code of Ethical Conduct in the Teaching Profession
Many professions recognize set standards for moral conduct. This lesson will examine the code of ethical conduct in the teaching profession and the importance of adhering to that code. We will provide examples of teachers who follow the code and then end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Foundations of Education: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- History of Education in the United States
- Pioneers of Education
- Psychology's Impact on Education
- Major Philosophies of Education
- Education Court Cases, Legislation, and Federal Documents
- School and System Governance
- Special and Inclusive Education
- Contemporary Issues & Influences in Education
- National Professional Organizations in Education
- Technological Issues in Education
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Foundations of Education Flashcards