About This Chapter
Professional Knowledge & Growth for Indiana ESL Teachers - Chapter Summary
With topics on legal issues and professional development resources and practices, this chapter offers a thorough overview of current trends and issues in the field of ESL education. You will review information about the legal rights of ELLs, program policies and relevant court cases that led to important ELL legislation.
You will also find lessons that focus on professional development: supportive teacher organizations, technological tools and various development and growth practices. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Provide details about court cases that have impacted English language learning
- Understand the rights of ELLs
- Identify current trends and issues in English language learning
- Detail federal and Indiana state ELL program policies
- Discuss professional development strategies for ESL teachers
- Explain the use of technology in the professional development of ESL teachers
- Name organizations and associations focusing on ESL education
- Use reflective practices for professional development purposes
Access short text lessons from any device and print transcripts for quick reference if needed. Use a contact form to reach out to instructors with any lesson-specific questions. Self-assessment quizzes help you determine if you are ready to move from one lesson to the next, and you can track your progress on your Dashboard.
1. ELL Court Cases
This lesson provides an overview of the major court cases that have made an impact on English language learners (ELLs). The cases covered include Meyer v. Nebraska, Mendez v. Westminster, and Lau v. Nichols.
2. English Language Learners' Legal Rights
The legal system protects English language learners (ELLs) to ensure that schools address their language limitations. This lesson covers the basic rights of ELLs, which have a basis in civil rights.
3. Current Issues & Trends in English Language Learning
In this lesson, we'll go over some of the current issues and trends in English language learning, including those related to core curriculum subjects, culture, student engagement, and technology.
4. Federal & Indiana State Program Policies for English Language Learners
Indiana, like all other states, applies federal policy to implement educational programs for English Language Learners. Additionally, Indiana has its own state policies for this purpose. This lesson gives you an overview of both types of policies.
5. Professional Development for ESL Teachers
You love learning more about the latest trends for teaching English as a second language. So that you keep up-to-date in regards to professional development, this lesson will provide you with a basic guide.
6. How ESL Teachers Can Use Technology for Professional Development
Being able to effectively use technology is an essential professional skill. This lesson highlights ways in which ESL teachers can use technology to increase productivity, improve communication, and professionally grow.
7. ESL Teacher Organizations
ESL teachers will find a variety of organizations and associations designed to help them develop professionally, create effective classroom instruction and assessments, and actively engage in the future of ESL education. Read on to learn about the different groups and what they do.
8. Reflection Elements & Tools for Teachers
In this lesson, we'll identify and analyze various methods for using reflection as a professional development tool for teachers, including reflective journaling, incident analysis, peer observation, and critical friends groups.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Indiana Core Assessments English Learners: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Components of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Language Acquisition & Literacy Development in Indiana Classrooms
- Cultural Concepts for Indiana Classrooms
- Culturally Inclusive Teaching
- Teacher-to-Student Communication
- ELL Instructional Practices for Indiana
- Teaching Diverse English Language Learners
- Scientific & Evidence-Based Literacy Instruction
- EL Instructional Resources
- Assessment of English Learners in Indiana
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Indiana Core Assessments English Learners Flashcards