About This Chapter
Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field - Chapter Summary
Study the application of professional knowledge to the family and consumer science field by exploring our engaging online lessons. Gain greater insight into job boards, home economics careers, job interview preparations and much more. After finishing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain how specializations in family and consumer science fit together
- List and discuss careers involving home economics
- Define and describe job boards
- Outline tips for creating a great resume and cover letter
- Share best practices for preparing for a job interview
- Identify and describe national standards for family and consumer sciences
- Discuss ways to incorporate student organizations into family and consumer science curriculum
Each lesson in this chapter is available 24 hours a day, making it easy to study during timeframes that suit your schedule. If you want to study while away from your computer, feel free to access the lessons using your smartphone or tablet. Mini quizzes and a practice exam can check your comprehension of concepts covered in this chapter. Our Dashboard traces your steps through the lessons and lets you send questions about specific topics to our subject-matter experts.
1. Careers Involving Home Economics
Learn about the various careers that involve some component of home economics. Compare and contrast the job duties of these different careers, as well as their median salaries and expected job growth rates.
2. What Are Job Boards?
If you have ever looked for a job online, you have probably used a job board. In this lesson, you'll learn what job boards are and take a look at some of the different types. A short quiz follows.
3. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
4. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
5. The National Standards for Family & Consumer Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences is a broad area that covers a variety of crucial skills related family life and various careers. Learn more about the national standards that guide this curriculum and find additional resources to help you learn about these subject areas.
6. Incorporating Student Organizations Into Family & Consumer Science Curriculum
In this lesson, you will learn about ways to incorporate student organizations in the Family and Consumer Science curriculum that will complement and reinforce the program standards.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards