About This Chapter
1. Professional Development for ESL Teachers
You love learning more about the latest trends for teaching English as a second language. So that you keep up-to-date in regards to professional development, this lesson will provide you with a basic guide.
2. How ESL Teachers Can Use Technology for Professional Development
Being able to effectively use technology is an essential professional skill. This lesson highlights ways in which ESL teachers can use technology to increase productivity, improve communication, and professionally grow.
3. ESL Teacher Organizations
ESL teachers will find a variety of organizations and associations designed to help them develop professionally, create effective classroom instruction and assessments, and actively engage in the future of ESL education. Read on to learn about the different groups and what they do.
4. Reflective Practices for ESL Teachers
If you are an ESL teacher, then you probably know how important it is to assess your efficacy and your internal biases. This lesson discusses some reflective practices that can be especially important for ESL teachers.
5. Reflection Elements & Tools for Teachers
In this lesson, we'll identify and analyze various methods for using reflection as a professional development tool for teachers, including reflective journaling, incident analysis, peer observation, and critical friends groups.
6. Collaborating with Teachers of ELL Students
Exchanging information and ideas with teachers of ESL students is integral to student success. In this lesson, you'll find tips and strategies for creating a positive environment of collaboration between classroom teachers and teachers of ESL students.
7. Collaborating with Other Educators on Individual Learning Plans for ELL Students
In this lesson, you have a basic guide on strategies to collaborate with certified personnel when you need to outline a student's individual learning plan (ILP). Also, we'll discuss strategies to collaborate with assessment preparation.
8. Strategies for Modeling Effective ELL Techniques for Other Teachers
There are many strategies teachers can use to assist colleagues so they apply effective English language learning (ELL) techniques and resources. This lesson gives you an overview of those strategies, including the parent's role and policy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-E English Language Learners (051): Study Guide & Practice course
- Applied Linguistics for ELL
- Literacy Development Overview
- Language Acquisition for ELL
- Promoting Language Acquisition
- Factors Impacting Second Language Development
- Nature of Culture & Language
- Cultural Identity & Diversity of ELL Students
- Culturally Inclusive Instruction for ELL Students
- Research-Based Practices for Teaching ELL
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Reading Skills to ELL Students
- Basics of Teaching Writing Skills for ELL
- Promoting Content-Area Knowledge for ELL
- Using Assessments for ELL Students
- ELL Students & Assessments
- Conducting & Interpreting ELL Assessments
- Evolution of ELL Education
- Advocating for ELL Students & Families
- WEST-E English Language Learners (051) Flashcards