About This Chapter
Programming Basics in C++ - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into programming basics in C++ using this chapter's fun lessons. Our instructors make sure you fully understand arithmetic operations in C++ programming, differences between the C and C++ languages, how to set up a coding environment for programming in C++ and more. Each lesson in this chapter is paired with a multiple-choice quiz you can take anytime to find out how well you understand key concepts. If you develop questions about specific lesson topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our subject-matter experts via the Dashboard. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Detail the history, formation and structure of C++ programming language
- Differentiate between object-oriented programming and procedural programming
- Describe methods of object-oriented programming
- Define and discuss C program styling
- List numeric data types in C++ programming
- Discuss the basics of variables
- Explain how to assign values to variables in C++ programming
- Exhibit knowledge of basic input and output
- Discuss the ''Hello World'' program and the practical application of C++ programming
1. C++ Programming Language: History, Formation & Structure
In this lesson we will first understand the basic difference between procedural and object oriented programming languages. Next we will learn about the history and formation of C++. We will discuss the design aims of C++ followed by an example which demonstrates the structure of a simple C++ program.
2. Differences Between the C & C++ Languages
This lesson explains the differences between the C and C++ programming languages. It also describes the various libraries used by both these languages and the programming syntax of each.
3. Object-Oriented Programming vs. Procedural Programming
There are several alternative approaches to the programming process. Two of the most important approaches are procedural programming and object-oriented programming. Learn about the differences between these two approaches in this video lesson.
4. Object-Oriented Programming: Objects, Classes & Methods
Object-oriented programming has become the most widely used approach to software development. Learn about the core concepts of object-oriented programming and how they are implemented using objects, classes and methods in this video lesson.
5. Object-Oriented Programming in C++ Language
In this lesson, we will learn the basic principles of object-oriented programming in C++. We will discuss the following concepts: class, objects, data encapsulation, data abstraction, inheritance, and polymorphism.
6. How to Set up a Coding Environment for Programming in C++
In this lesson, you will learn how to download and setup a compiler for C++ programming. This will be a powerful tool for you as you complete these programming lessons.
7. C Program Styling: Indents, Comments & General Syntax
In this lesson, you will learn about the general structure of a C program, as well as how comments are created, and how indentation is used to aid the developer in understanding program flow.
8. Numeric Data Types in C++ Programming
In this lesson, we will explore the numeric data types in the C++ programming language. Ranges of each numeric data type will be reviewed as well as their required memory allocation.
9. Arithmetic Operations in C++ Programming
In this lesson, you will learn how to perform arithmetic functions in C++. You will learn addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and modulus operations. Working code examples are provided.
10. Basics of Variables in C++ Programming
In this lesson, you will learn how variables work in C++. You will learn the different types, naming variables, storage allocation, and syntax for creating them.
11. Assigning Values to Variables in C++ Programming
Variables don't do much good if they can't store actual values. In this lesson, you will learn how to assign values to variables, and how to use typecasting to convert types.
12. Basic Input & Output in C++ Programming
Computer programs should be interactive. In this lesson, you will learn how to display basic output and collect basic input using C++. Working code examples are provided.
13. Practical Application for C++ Programming: ~'Hello World~' Program
In this practical lesson, you will develop, compile, run, and test your very first C++ program! In this initial program, you will display an on-screen message to the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 112: Programming in C++ course
- Computer Programming Elements & Basics
- Programming Using Branching in C++
- Programming Using Loops in C++
- Arrays & Vectors in C++ Programming
- Strings in C++ Programming
- C++ Programming Functions
- Classes in C++ Programming
- File Streams in C++ Programming
- Pointers & Memory in C++ Programming
- Inheritance, Polymorphism & Encapsulation in C++ Programming
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 112