About This Chapter
Programs & Curriculum for Early Childhood Education - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an in-depth analysis of programs and curriculum options available in early childhood education. Fun lessons explore types of childcare programs, emergent curriculum in early childhood, ways to advocate for early childhood services and much more. With each lesson is a short quiz you can take to check your understanding of the concepts it covers. A practice exam is available to gauge your comprehension of the entire chapter. Study these lessons anytime via any computer or mobile device. When finished, you will be able to:
- Explain the benefits and programs of early childhood education
- Discuss licensing, health and safety requirements for early childhood programs
- List types of childcare programs and explain how they are implemented in our society
- Define curriculum and emergent curriculum in early childhood education
- Share ways parents can evaluate and choose early childhood education programs
- Describe how to advocate for education programs and services for young children
1. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
2. Early Childhood Programs: Licensing, Health & Safety Requirements
Most early childhood education programs must adhere to specific requirements when it comes to licensing, health and safety standards. This lesson will briefly explore these issues.
3. Types of Childcare Programs
Childcare decisions can be difficult due to the myriad options. This lesson offers a breakdown of the main questions to consider when looking for childcare. Options associated with each question are explained in the lesson.
4. What is Curriculum in Early Childhood Education?
We often hear about the importance of getting children off to a strong start via solid early childhood education. This lesson will introduce you to the meaning of curriculum in the context of early childhood.
5. What is Emergent Curriculum in Early Childhood?
This lesson is all about emergent curriculum and how it can be used in early childhood education programs. We'll define emergent curriculum and provide an example of how it can be used to construct a lesson.
6. Evaluating Early Childhood Education Programs
How do parents select an early childhood education program for their children? This lesson will discuss early childhood education programs and the standards that can be used to evaluate them.
7. Advocacy for Early Childhood Programs & Services
In this lesson, we'll discuss how to effectively advocate for services to help families with young children adjust to change and transitions, the development of quality education programs for young children, and the health, living, and working conditions of young children and their families.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 106: Introduction to Early Childhood Education course
- History & Theories of Early Childhood Education
- Typical & Atypical Early Childhood Development
- Social & Cognitive Development in Infants & Toddlers
- Early Childhood Education for Preschool & Kindergarten
- Instructional Strategies for Early Childhood Education
- Student Diversity & Equality
- Student Assessment & Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Family & Community Involvement in Childhood Education
- Professional Development & Organizations in Early Childhood Education
- Studying for Education 106