About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering project management material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn project management. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding project management steps and skills
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about project management
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Project Management Basics chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the project management chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any project management question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a project management unit of a standard business course. Topics covered include:
- What project management is
- The components of project management
- Project management theories, methods and skills
- Process and purpose of a project management plan
- Risk management involved with project management
- Phases and models of project management
- Steps, practices, techniques, and tools used in project management
- What a project management office is and does
- Benefits, milestones, critical success factors and more
1. What is Project Management? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the definition of project management. An example of project management will be used to give a general understanding of the topic.
2. Project Management: Components & Characteristics
In this lesson we will learn about project management. Specifically, we will explore some of the more common components and characteristics. The lesson will conclude with a summary and a quiz to test your knowledge.
3. What Are Project Management Methodologies? - Types & Examples
Project management methodologies are instructional steps or guidelines project managers use to lead projects. There are several kinds of methodologies to ensure projects are completed on time; keep reading to learn about two.
4. What Are Project Management Skills? - Definition & Examples
This lesson discusses the project management role in an organization. We will define this role and explore the skill set that many successful project managers possess.
5. Project Management Plan: Definition, Purpose & Examples
A project management plan is a document used to describe every phase of a project. The components may include initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing.
6. Project Management Steps
In this lesson we will learn about project management. There are five major steps with project management, and we will walk through each one. The lesson will conclude with a summary and a quiz.
7. What is a Project Management Office? - Definition & Roles
In this lesson, we'll learn about project management offices. We'll learn the definition of the project management office and explore the many roles and styles that this office can fulfill.
8. What is Project Risk Management? - Definition, Process & Examples
In this lesson, we'll explore the definition and elements of risk management within project management, learning ways to ensure your project is successful. We'll study how to identify, assess and reduce risk and how to react to risk as it shows up.
9. Integrated Project Management: Definition & Approach
In this lesson, we'll look at integrated project management and why it is important. We'll use an example to examine how integrated project management is completed during the project management process.
10. What is Lean Project Management? - Definition & Methodology
This lesson defines lean project management and the difference from traditional approaches. The Deming Cycle, Kanban, and Lean Six Sigma methodologies are discussed.
11. Project Management Best Practices & Techniques
In this lesson, we'll define the term project management and explore some of the best practices and techniques project managers can use to help increase the success of a project.
12. Project Management Communication Plan: Definition & Example
Everybody needs to talk to somebody at some time, but are we communicating effectively? That's where a project management communications plan comes in, as it helps you plan what information you need to relay to the people who need it.
13. Project Management Metrics: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn the meaning of the term metrics and then apply it to project management. We'll also explore how project mangers use metrics to measure the success of a project.
14. Simple Project Management: Tools & Examples
Developing and understanding the tools used in project management can elevate the success of your projects. In this lesson, we will review some simple tools used to achieve project outcomes.
15. What is Project Procurement Management? - Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll learn how a company often obtains supplies for projects. Specifically, we'll learn what project procurement management is and the process many companies abide by.
16. The Benefits of Project Management
In this lesson, we'll learn about the benefits of project management. Along the way, we'll define a couple of key terms, and then learn about the many advantages of efficient project management.
17. Project Management Life Cycle: Definition, Phases & Models
Long and complex tasks usually become more manageable, if one splits them into shorter phases and milestones. In this lesson, you will learn the phases of a traditional project life cycle and different project life cycle models.
18. Strategic Project Management: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll learn about strategic project management. We'll define it and learn the five steps a project manager might use when partaking in strategic project management. The lesson will conclude with a quiz.
19. Theory of Constraints in Project Management
The theory of constraints is a method for optimizing project processes to boost overall project performance. In this lesson, we'll look at the 4 steps of the theory of constraints as it relates to successful project management.
20. Project Management Planning: Process & Tools
In this lesson, we'll learn about project management planning. We'll look at some steps involved in planning a process, as well as explore some valuable tools when planning a project.
21. What Are Milestones in Project Management? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about project milestones, including what they are and how they're used to measure a project's progress. We'll also explore examples of project milestones and find out which questions to ask when determining a milestone.
22. Critical Success Factors in Project Management
In this lesson, you'll learn about critical success factors in project management. We'll define the term and explore some of the important concepts pertaining to critical success factors.
23. Creating & Submitting a Project Proposal
How is throwing a block party similar to launching a new initiative at work? Both require an approval and financial support of other people! Learn how to create successful project proposals to persuade project sponsors.
24. Reducing Concerns with Project Management Software
In this lesson, you'll learn about the different administrative and technical concerns project managers face and how project management software can help alleviate them.
25. Planning for Project Dependencies & Contingencies
In most projects, there are several tasks that cannot be started or completed without other tasks being started, in-progress, or complete. This lesson will explore a project manager's options for dealing with these tasks.
26. Financial Planning in Project Management
Financial planning is key to making smart project budget decisions. In this lesson, we'll learn about the two major types of budget estimates and how to develop a project budget.
27. Managing Project Cash Flow: Investments & Example
When management has made the decision to make an investment in a capital project, it becomes very important to budget the anticipated cash flow for that project. In this lesson, we'll learn why that's so critical and use an example to demonstrate it.
28. Using Networking Diagrams for Task Breakdown & Tracking
Network diagrams are useful in creating high-level or detailed pictures of your project schedule and tracking activities. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of a network diagram and how it aids in managing and tracking project activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business: Help and Review course
- The Dynamic Business Environment: Help and Review
- Business Morality & Code of Conduct: Help and Review
- Economics and Business: Help and Review
- Business in Global Markets: Help and Review
- Forms of Business Ownership: Help and Review
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Help and Review
- Managing and Leading in Business: Help and Review
- Leadership Styles in Business: Help and Review
- Organizational Management: Help and Review
- Business Production and Operations: Help and Review
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation: Help and Review
- Basics of Human Resources: Help and Review
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship: Help and Review
- Business Marketing Basics: Help and Review
- Product Development and Retailing: Help and Review
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management: Help and Review
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing: Help and Review
- Product Promotion in Business: Help and Review
- MIS Basics in Business: Help and Review
- Implications of Information Technology: Help and Review
- Risk Management in Business: Help and Review
- Accounting Basics: Help and Review
- Financial Management in Business: Help and Review
- Securities Markets and Business: Help and Review
- Lean in Business
- Money and Financial Institutions: Help and Review
- Strategic Planning for Small Businesses
- Small Business Analysis Models
- Small Business Entrepreneurship
- Ethical Behavior & Social Responsibility in Small Business
- Product Pricing for Small Business