About This Chapter
Project Management Basics - Chapter Summary
The video and text lessons in this chapter help your employees understand the steps of project management and the role of a project manager so they are prepared to take the reins on a project. This corporate training chapter will cover:
- The nine knowledge areas of project management
- Definition of a product life cycle
- The product life cycle model
- What happens during the introductory and maturity stages of the product life cycle
- The technology adoption life cycle
All of the information above will be presented to your employees through brief mobile-friendly lessons. Short multiple-choice quizzes will follow each lesson to help them apply what they've learned, and you can use the chapter exam to see how well they comprehended the information.
How It Helps
- Provides organization: Employees' awareness of the nine knowledge areas of project management will enable them to structure their projects to complete them on time and on budget.
- Promotes anticipation: Project managers who understand the introductory stage of the product life cycle know what events to anticipate and can prepare for them.
- Provides guidance: Your employees' understanding of the technology adoption life cycle enables them to steer their projects in the direction of the customer's needs.
By the end of the chapter, employees will be able to:
- Use the nine knowledge areas of project management to complete their projects
- Identify the stages of the product life cycle when managing a new project
- Incorporate the model of the product life cycle stages into their projects
- Prepare for the introductory stage of the product life cycle
- Recognize when the maturity stage has been reached
- Present products according to the technology adoption life cycle
1. The Ten Knowledge Areas of Project Management
To help organize all the knowledge a project manager needs to effectively perform the role, project management has been organized into 10 best practice areas, or knowledge areas. In this lesson, we'll introduce each of these knowledge areas.
2. What is the Product Life Cycle? - Definition & Examples
When a new product is produced, it advances through a sequence of stages during its lifetime. In this lesson, we will define the product life cycle and use examples along with an illustration to show each stage of the product life cycle.
3. Product Life Cycle Stages: Theory & Model
This lesson defines the product life cycle and describes the various stages of the product life cycle through which a product passes from growth to decline.
4. Introduction Stage of the Product Life Cycle
The introduction stage is the first of the four stages in the product life cycle. In this lesson, we will explore the various characteristics of the introductory stage through examples and explanation.
5. Maturity Stage of the Product Life Cycle
The challenges and benefits of a business during the maturity stage of the product life cycle are identified in this lesson. A brief overview of the introduction and growth stages are also explained.
6. Technology Adoption Life Cycle
Even the most successful technological innovations like the iPhone and Facebook did not become popular overnight. Explore the five stages of the technology adaptation life cycle to understand how society reacts to innovations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Project Management Training course