About This Chapter
Promoting Functional Living Skills in Special Education - Chapter Summary
Studying ways to promote functional living skills in special education is simple using this chapter's entertaining lessons. Get reacquainted with different instructional strategies and types of technology that help educators teach life skills and personal care skills in the classroom. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- Describe best practices for integrating life skills development with academic curricula
- Share strategies for teaching life skills to children and high school students
- List methods for teaching students who have learning disabilities about personal care
- Identify and discuss different types of assistive technology as it pertains to occupational therapy
- Exhibit knowledge transition-focused instruction and related strategies
This entire chapter is self-paced, enabling you to review any lessons you choose in any sequence and as often as you'd like. Around-the-clock computer and mobile access ensures you're able to view resources anytime using any device with an Internet connection. This flexibility lets you study whenever and wherever your schedule permits. Other resources like short quizzes and a practice exam make sure you have a comprehensive understanding of this chapter before the day of your test.
1. Integrating Life Skills Development with Academic Curricula
In this lesson, we will discuss strategies for integrating life skills development with academic curricula for students with learning disabilities to promote functional living skills, community living skills, vocational/career competence, citizenship, and leisure and recreation activities skills.
2. Teaching Life Skills to Children
This engaging lesson addresses a very important part of growing up, learning life skills. This lesson will review what life skills are and give examples on teaching some of the important ones within the classroom.
3. Teaching Life Skills to High School Students
There are many life skills that are beneficial for students to know. Discover which life skills are essential for high school students and the most effective ways to teach them.
4. Teaching Personal Care Skills to Students with Learning Disabilities
This lesson provides engaging strategies for teaching students with learning disabilities about personal care. Use these strategies designed for low- and high-functioning students in your classroom today.
5. Occupational Therapy Assistive Technology
Assistive technology for occupational therapy purposes provides more autonomous living for persons with disabilities at home, school, work, and in the community. Find out about some specific devices and adaptations by reading on.
6. Strategies for Transition-Focused Instruction
If you are a special education high school teacher, then you probably spend some time thinking about how to help your students transition out of school. This lesson provides strategies you can use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Learning Disabilities (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- Learning Disabilities & Other Types of Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Across the Lifespan
- Factors Affecting Development & Learning
- Language Disorders
- Perceptual, Memory & Reasoning Disorders
- Behavioral, Social & Emotional Disorders
- Assessment Instruments & Methods in Special Education
- Assessment Procedures in Special Education
- Assessment Interpretation & Communication in Special Education
- IEPs, IFSPs & Transition Plans
- Setting & Monitoring Student Goals
- Learning Environments in Special Education
- Fundamentals of Classroom Management
- Individualizing Instruction for Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Language Development
- Promoting Emergent Literacy
- Promoting Reading Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Written Expression for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Math Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities
- Promoting Social Competence in Special Education
- Developing & Implementing Behavioral Interventions
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Special Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Special Education
- Historical, Social & Legal Issues in Special Education
- Professional Development in Special Education
- MTTC Learning Disabilities Flashcards