About This Chapter
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Get the definition of stress and find out its impact on overall health in this chapter. Instructors deliver lessons on where stress comes from and offer some methods for coping with stress. You'll be familiar with the following topics when you've finished the lessons in this chapter:
- Health effects of chronic stress
- Types of stress
- Origins of stress
- General Adaptation Syndrome
|Stressed by Stress||Provides an overview of the negative health effects associated with chronic stress and lists some coping strategies.|
|Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health||Defines stress, eustress and distress. Examines distress and eustress in detail and summarizes fight or flight response.|
|Where Does Stress Come From?||Assesses different types of stressors in the workplace and at school. Details stressors caused by your environment.|
|General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes||Identifies the three phases of the General Adaptation Syndrome and details the physical and psychological changes that can result from each level.|
|Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress||Offers insight into the dangers associated with chronic stress. Details gastrointestinal problems and cardiovascular diseases, among others.|
|Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure||Introduces methods for dealing with stress at work and in school. Offers suggestions for coping with stress in general.|
1. Understanding Stress: Eustress, Distress & Coping Strategies
Most people have to deal with stress on a regular basis. But do you know what it's really doing to your body? Learn more about the reasons behind feeling stressed as well as common strategies to not let the stress get to you.
2. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
3. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
4. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
5. Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress
Chronic stress has been linked to a ton of problems for the body both psychologically and physiologically. We'll take a trip in this lesson to examine what these problems are - a trip you may never forget.
6. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Health Education (5551): Practice & Study Guide course
- Anatomy & Physiology
- The Five Human Senses
- Concepts for Health Educators
- Disease Types, Prevention & Treatment
- Genetic and Congenital Diseases: Common Types and Treatment
- Types of Psychological Disease
- Psychological Treatment & Prevention
- Health Advocacy in Schools & Communities
- Health Advocacy for the Environment
- Social Psychology Theories
- Stereotypes, Discrimination & Prejudice in Social Psychology
- Healthy Relationships
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Exercise & Your Body
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Nutrition
- Teaching Strategies for Health Educators
- Praxis Health Education Flashcards