About This Chapter
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles - Chapter Summary
There are several components of a healthy lifestyle. As you'll see in this chapter about promoting healthy lifestyles, physical strength and endurance are just two of them. Check out the video lessons to learn how to make smart decisions about your eating habits and be cognizant of ways stress can affect your long-term health. Learn about the importance of setting appropriate weight loss or fitness goals and making decisions that mitigate health risks. This chapter provides lessons on the function of the muscular system and how muscles work in groups. As you progress through the chapter, you'll get examples of muscle contractions that control movement, provide support and maintain homeostasis and find out how diet affects metabolism. This chapter is designed to teach you about:
- The role of nutrition in maintaining overall health
- The muscular system and muscle metabolism
- Skeletal muscle functions
- Factors contributing to physical fitness
- Types of fitness
- Stress management skills
- Key terms like aerobic, anaerobic, agonist, synergist and antagonist
Our video lessons on promoting healthy lifestyles are led by experts in the field of health education. These professional instructors provide short and informative video lessons that you can use to refresh your knowledge of this topic. You can then take the self-assessment quizzes that follow each video.
1. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
2. Locus of Control: Definition & Relation to Wellness
Are you an internally or externally focused person? What does that really all mean? How does it affect your view of the world and your potential successes and failures? This and more will be discussed in this lesson.
3. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
4. Creating a Behavior Management Plan: Steps & Behavioral Changes
This lesson will outline the steps you need to take if you'd like to make a positive, health-related change in your life. You'll learn about keeping a journal and how to set SMART goals for yourself.
5. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Health Education (5551): Practice & Study Guide course
- Anatomy & Physiology
- The Five Human Senses
- Concepts for Health Educators
- Disease Types, Prevention & Treatment
- Genetic and Congenital Diseases: Common Types and Treatment
- Types of Psychological Disease
- Psychological Treatment & Prevention
- Health Advocacy in Schools & Communities
- Health Advocacy for the Environment
- Social Psychology Theories
- Stereotypes, Discrimination & Prejudice in Social Psychology
- Healthy Relationships
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Exercise & Your Body
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Nutrition
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Teaching Strategies for Health Educators
- Praxis Health Education Flashcards