About This Chapter
Promoting Learning & Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains lessons that cover some common problems that elementary school children face, including bullying and rejection. The major benefits of early childhood education are also highlighted in the chapter for you to examine, especially those dealing with brain development and socialization. The chapter also includes lessons that reacquaint you with the following:
- Effects of abuse and neglect on development
- Child IQ and creativity
- The role of play in cognitive development
- Developmental milestones and nature versus nurture
The effective video lessons that cover these topics can each be watched in a matter of a few minutes. You can watch these videos conveniently on either a computer or mobile device. After reviewing the video and text resources of the chapter, you can take practice quizzes that are matched up with each of the lessons.
1. Child and Adolescent Development: Developmental Milestones & Nature vs. Nurture
How does a child develop cognitively? Which influences development more - genetics or the environment? How important are early experiences in the growth and cognitive development of a child? These are some of the major questions that guide the work of researchers in the field of educational psychology. This lesson will begin to address these questions by describing the basic principles that characterize child and adolescent development.
2. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
3. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
4. Child Creativity and Intelligence
What is an IQ score? What do these scores mean? What role does creativity play in a child's development? Explore these concepts with this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
5. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
6. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
7. The Pros & Cons of Day Care: Characteristics & Outcomes
Parents have many options for child care, including sending the child to day care. Watch this video to find out some of the advantages and disadvantages of sending a child to day care.
8. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Early Childhood Education (AZ036): Practice & Study Guide course
- Child Growth & Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Health & Safety for Young Children
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Curriculum Planning & Classroom Strategies
- Early Childhood Language Development
- Developing Literacy in Children
- Reading Development & Teaching Strategies
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- Foundations of Teaching Math
- Basic Elements of Mathematics
- Measurement & Geometry Skills
- Foundations of Teaching Science
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Learning Through the Arts
- AEPA Early Childhood Education Flashcards