About This Chapter
Promoting Multicultural Sensitivity & Diversity in the Classroom - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find short lessons on promoting multicultural sensitivity and diversity in the classroom. Just a few of the subjects discussed here include culturally responsive teaching, a supportive classroom environment and the involvement of families in curriculum. This chapter is intended to help you achieve the following goals:
- Understand the ways teachers can impact the achievement of culturally diverse students
- Define culturally responsive teaching for ELL students
- Discuss multicultural curriculum and instruction development
- Create a supportive classroom environment to promote cultural diversity
- Assess the cultural experiences and background of ELL students
- Involve families in culturally inclusive instruction and curriculum
- Use outreach and strategies to effectively communicate with ELL parents
- Detail the use of parent leadership councils with ELL families
Feel free to access these materials from any mobile device or computer 24 hours a day, which allows for flexible studying. Before moving on to other topics or sitting for an important test, take the lesson quizzes lessons and the test at the end of the chapter.
1. How Teachers Impact Achievement of Culturally Diverse Students
Reflection and research are important practices in education. One common concern that is not reflected on enough is how teachers impact the academic achievement of culturally diverse students. With a non-minority teaching population of nearly 3 times the number of minority students, the challenges are evident. Read more to find out how to be 'color brave' and address these concerns face to face.
2. Culturally Responsive Teaching for ELL Students
In this lesson, you will learn about the importance of valuing and respecting students' cultural backgrounds as well as strategies for incorporating culturally relevant teaching into your classroom.
3. Multicultural Curriculum & Instruction Development
Our classrooms are diverse, and we as teachers need to be sensitive to the needs of our students. Culturally inclusive classrooms use a multicultural curriculum discussed in this lesson along with teaching strategies for implementation.
4. Creating a Classroom Environment that Supports Cultural Diversity
All teachers want students to feel accepted and valued in their classroom. In this lesson, learn how to create a classroom environment that supports the cultural diversity of your students.
5. How to Assess the Cultural Background & Experiences of ELL Students
When you assess English language learners, you usually concentrate on placing them at a specific language level. This lesson explores why and how you can go beyond language to include the cultural backgrounds and experiences of English learners.
6. Involving Families in Culturally Inclusive Curriculum & Instruction
Regardless of socioeconomic status or ethnic background, family and community involvement is critical to ensure student success. This lesson goes over three key steps to building a strong foundation toward implementation.
7. Communicating with ELL Parents: Outreach & Strategies
Having trouble touching base with the parents of your ELL students? Not sure where to start? This lesson will help. We'll go over some strategies you can use to reach out to your students' parents.
8. Parent Leadership Councils: Definition, Purpose & Use with ELL Families
In this lesson, you will learn about the benefits of implementing a successful Parent Leadership Council to improve the educational experience of your ELL students and their families.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE ESOL K-12 (047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Elements & Adaptation
- How Cultural Differences Impact Students
- Elements of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Second Language Acquisition & Development
- Language Functions, Skills & Proficiency
- Second Language Literacy Development
- Literacy & Language Research
- Models of ELL Instruction
- ESOL Instructional Approaches
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Writing Skills Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for ELL Classrooms
- Selecting & Adapting Instructional Materials for ELL Students
- Technology in ELL Instruction
- ELL Rights & Court Cases in Florida
- ELL Assessment Issues
- ELL Learners with Exceptionalities
- Language Proficiency Assessments in Florida
- Classroom-Based Assessments of ELL Students
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Professional Development Organizations & Resources for ESOL Teachers
- FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards