About This Chapter
Pronoun Usage & Agreement Basics - Chapter Summary
Review this mobile-friendly language arts chapter to learn the proper usage of pronouns and the basic rules of agreement in sentences. Our expert instructors show you how to use pronouns correctly, and you'll explore topics such as antecedents, personal pronouns and object pronouns. The chapter can be studied at any time, and you can use your computer, tablet or smartphone to access it. Take the accompanying lesson quizzes to make sure you fully understand these pronoun and agreement rules. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Know when and how to use pronouns
- Understand personal pronouns and antecedents
- Memorize the rules for selecting subject and object pronouns
1. How & When to Use Pronouns
In this lesson you will learn about how and when to use pronouns. There will be a review of some common pronouns, and how they can help sentences sound less awkward and repetitive.
2. Personal Pronouns and Antecedents: Number Agreement
In this lesson, you'll learn how to avoid one of the most common grammatical mistakes in writing by learning how to ensure that all of the antecedents in your writing agree in number with the pronouns that they're matched up with.
3. Selecting Subject & Object Pronouns: Rules & Examples
Discover the difference and usefulness of two different types of pronouns. Learn how to use subject pronouns and object pronouns effectively in writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts course
- English Spelling Rules & Conventions
- 6th Grade Vocabulary Skills & Word Usage
- Parts of Speech Usage
- Interjections, Conjunctions & Prepositions
- Punctuation & Sentence Structure
- The Writing Process & Types of Writings
- Speaking, Listening & Study Skills
- 6th Grade Reading Strategies Basics
- 6th Grade Reading Comprehension
- Characteristics of Literature
- Characteristics of Literary Elements
- Characteristics of Literary Devices
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: Matilda
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: James & the Giant Peach