About This Chapter
Proofreading & Revising an Essay
This chapter covers topics on proofreading and revising your writing with informative videos taught by our expert instructors. The lesson topics range from basic proofreading to improving overall essay content and revision. After working through the chapter you will be proficient in:
- Proofreading for grammar and spelling
- Editing and improving your writing
- Fixing errors in your essay
The lessons in this chapter are easy to use, whether you simply want to review concepts you've studied in the past or are learning topics from scratch. Our video timeline makes it easy to skip what you've already learned and identify the points in the lesson that you want to review. Use the full lesson transcripts to quickly skim the lesson content or to help you study. In addition, the self-assessment quizzes will help you evaluate what you know and what you need to spend more time on.
1. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
2. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
3. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Overview & Practice course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar
- Sentence Structure: Understanding Grammar
- Essay Basics: Types of Essay
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay
- Writing Mechanics
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay
- Reading and Understanding Essays: Help & Tutorial
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning
- Figurative Language
- Examples of Literary Analysis
- Prominent Authors & Major Works
- Historical, Cultural & Critical Contexts of Literature
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Interpreting Meaning in Literature
- Reading & Editing Essays
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Grammar, Mechanics & Usage
- Writing Assessment Tools & Strategies
- Effective Listening & Speaking
- Developing Word Identification Skills