About This Chapter
Properties & Nomenclature for Organic Compounds - Chapter Summary
These helpful lessons explore the physical properties and formation of organic compounds. Topics of study include simple and complex organic compounds and their types and groups. You can also examine how knowing the name of a compound helps you understand its structure. This chapter prepares you to do the following:
- Recognize the formulas for simple organic compounds
- Detail the four main types of complex organic compounds
- Describe the different types of physical properties found in organic compounds
- Identify organic compounds using chemical nomenclature
Use these lessons to study on any mobile device, tablet or computer, at any time. Our learning tools work like a comprehensive study guide that you can review at your convenience. View the entire chapter as a helpful test prep exercise, or focus only on the lessons that correspond with the topics that need more work. If any of the subjects have you confused, our instructors are available to help.
1. What are Simple Organic Compounds in Chemistry? - Types, Groups & Examples
We are going to learn about some of the simple organic compounds that exist in our world. This lesson covers the types, groups and general formulas of simple organic compounds.
2. Complex Organic Compounds in Chemistry: Types, Groups & Examples
We are going to delve into the world of complex organic compounds. The four main types will be explored by looking at their general structure and some examples.
3. Physical Properties of Organic Compounds
A wide variety of organic compounds exist. The ability to learn about a compound by knowing its physical property is very useful. Explore what a physical property is and the different types for organic compounds.
4. Chemical Nomenclature for Organic Compounds
In this lesson, we will learn how to name organic compounds using chemical nomenclature. We will learn how knowing the name of a compound also helps us know the structure of the compound.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 3: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Measurement & Instruments
- Principles of Physics
- Newton's Laws of Motion in Physics
- Power, Energy & Heat
- Weather & Weather Forecasting
- Principles of Chemistry
- Atomic Theory & Structure
- Ionic Theory & Chemical Reactions
- Overview of Inorganic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry & Agriculture
- Structures & Formulas of Organic Compounds
- Structures & Formulas of Alcohols
- Structures & Formulas of Acids
- Using Data & Statistics
- Principles of Agronomy
- The Plant, Fungi, & Bacteria Kingdoms
- Plant Cell Morphology
- Plant Anatomy & Morphology
- Plant Germination & Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Biology
- UPSEE Paper 3 Flashcards