About This Chapter
Properties of Colloids - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides lessons on properties of colloids. There are informative discussions that include adsorption of gases and purification of lyophilic colloids. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define and discuss types, protection, and application of colloids
- Compare solutions, suspensions, and colloids
- Discuss characteristics of crystalloids
- Explain emulsion and provide examples
- Examine adsorption of gases
- Explore Thomas Graham's system of substance classification
- Understand preparation and purification of lyophilic colloids
- Define chromatography and understand types and uses
We use short and interesting video lessons, which help you to quickly grasp the information presented. Our expert instructors are engaging and provide great examples. The video timelines allow you to navigate the videos and jump straight to the topics that are of greatest interest. Full video transcripts are also available for you to review. Each lesson is accompanied by a brief multiple-choice quiz to test your knowledge.
1. Comparing Solutions, Suspensions & Colloids: Properties & Examples
With a few simple observations, you can classify a mixture as a solution, suspension or colloid. Learn how we use properties, such as visibility of particles, how light is affected and the ability of particles to settle out to classify mixtures.
2. Colloids: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of colloids. There will be examples provided to assist you with your understanding of the topic. Also, several types of colloid solutions are provided.
3. Crystalloids: Definition & Examples
This lesson focuses on defining crystalloids and fluid tonicity. Examples of IV solutions used in clinical practice are also discussed. By the end of this lesson, you'll also be able to explain the categories of crystalloids.
4. Emulsion: Definition & Examples
Oil and water don't mix! In this lesson learn about emulsions and how they work. Through examples, learn about their abundance in foods and what kinds of foods use an emulsion.
5. Adsorption of Gases: Definition & Examples
Adsorption of gases are all around us and can affect our day-to-day life. In this lesson, we learn specifically about adsorption of gases and how it is measured.
6. Thomas Graham's System of Substance Classification
Thomas Graham was the first scientist to classify substances as colloids or crystalloids. In this lesson, we will learn how he described these categories and how those categories have been further defined.
7. Preparation & Purification of Lyophilic Colloids
Lyophilic colloids are colloids where the particles have a strong affinity with the liquid. In this lesson we will learn about lyophilic colloids and how they are prepared and purified.
8. What is Chromatography? - Definition, Types & Uses
Chromatography is a versatile method of separating many different kinds of chemical mixtures. In this lesson, learn the different types and uses of the technique.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Chemistry: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Measurement in Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Models
- Periodic Table & Periodicity
- Representative Elements
- Compounds of Element Groups
- Types of Chemical Bonding
- Covalent Bonds
- Characteristics of Gases
- Rates of Chemical Reactions
- Heat, Work & Energy
- Redox Reactions
- Organic Compounds in Chemistry
- Chemical Reaction Mechanisms
- Aliphatic & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Everyday Chemistry
- Chemistry & the Environment
- Relative Molecular Mass & Mole
- Solid State Structure & Properties
- Chemical Dynamics & Reaction Rates
- Chemical Equilibria
- Ionic Equilibria
- Electrochemistry & Voltaic Cells
- Coordination Compounds
- Chemistry of p-Block Elements
- Chemistry of Transition & Inner-Transition Elements
- Alkyl & Aryl Halides
- Alcohols & Phenols
- Ethers & Carbonyl Compounds
- Cyanides, Isocyanides & Nitro Compounds
- Polymer Basics
- Types of Biomolecules
- ISC Chemistry Flashcards