About This Chapter
Properties of Equality & Operations - Chapter Summary
In this chapter you will be able to study lessons that explain the different properties of equality and operations and how you can use them to solve math problems. These lessons are taught by our expert instructors and are mobile device compatible so that you can have an effective and mobile way to study the:
- Commutative properties of addition and multiplication
- Multiplication property of zero
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division properties of equality
- Distributive property
- Reflexive, transitive, and symmetric properties of equality
After you watch a video lesson, read over the lesson transcript to reinforce your retention of the information presented in it. Then take the lesson quiz to determine what topics you don't understand. To improve your understanding of these topics, use the video tags to return to and study the parts of the lessons that explained them.
1. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of addition and what it means when you are adding numbers together. Learn how it can help you solve addition problems faster.
2. Commutative Property of Multiplication: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of multiplication. We will see how it works in action and what it means for you when you are solving multiplication problems.
3. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
4. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
5. Reflexive Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the reflexive property of equality. You will learn what the formula for this property looks like and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
6. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
7. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
8. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
9. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
10. Transitive Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the transitive property of equality works when you have two equations that are equal to each other. Learn the formula for this property and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
11. Symmetric Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
Have you ever finished a math problem only to see that the teacher's answer was written backwards? Find out why your answer is correct in this lesson on the symmetric property of equality!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards