About This Chapter
Properties of Equality - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your understanding of the properties of equality from home or on-the-go using this chapter's entertaining lessons. Study various types of equality properties, including the subtraction, substitution and symmetric properties. When you've finished with this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Describe the addition and subtraction properties of equality
- Share examples of the multiplication and division properties of equality
- Define the transitive property of equality
- Explain the transitive property of equality
- Discuss the symmetric and reflexive properties of equality
- Provide the definition of the substitution property of equality
This chapter offers the flexibility to the lessons as short videos or full transcripts. Review them in your sequence of choice, and visit them as often as you'd like to boost your knowledge of the properties of equality. Find out how much you understand about this subject by taking mini quizzes and a practice exam. Any questions you have about specific topics covered in the lessons can be submitted to our experts.
1. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
2. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
3. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
4. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
5. Transitive Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the transitive property of equality works when you have two equations that are equal to each other. Learn the formula for this property and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
6. Symmetric Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
Have you ever finished a math problem only to see that the teacher's answer was written backwards? Find out why your answer is correct in this lesson on the symmetric property of equality!
7. The Reflexive Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will review the definition of the reflexive property of equality. We will also look at why this property is important. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz to test your knowledge on the reflexive property of equality.
8. Substitution Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of the substitution property of equality and why this property is so important in mathematics. You will be given examples to illustrate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- Finding the Main Idea of Reading Passages
- Understanding Reading Selections
- Evaluating Written Arguments
- Point of View, Tone & Meaning
- Figurative Language & Expressions
- Audience & Argument in Written Communication
- Organizing an Essay
- Essay Revision Strategies
- Parts of Speech & Writing Conventions
- Grammar & Sentence Structure
- Working with Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Decimals, Percents & Operations
- Measurement Concepts & Application
- Basic Geometry Overview
- Properties & Applications of Triangles in Geometry
- Measuring Closed Figures & 3D Shapes
- Probability, Statistics & Evaluating Data
- Sequences & Algebraic Expressions
- Linear Equation Basics
- Logical Problem Solving in Mathematics
- WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Flashcards