About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Properties of Exponents: College Math chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||5 main exponent properties||Product of Powers, Power to a Power, Quotient of Powers, Power of a Product and Power of a Quotient|
|Tuesday||Zero and negative exponents||Formulas for negative and zero exponents|
|Wednesday||Simplification of expressions with exponents||Simplifying using positive exponents|
|Thursday||Rational exponents||Rational number, rational exponent, root number and radicand|
|Friday||Simplification of expressions with rational exponents||Radical to rational fraction formula|
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Mathematics Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Math Foundations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: College Math Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers: College Math Lesson Plans
- Properties of Polynomials: College Math Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions: College Math Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions: College Math Lesson Plans
- Logarithms & Exponential Equations: College Math Lesson Plans
- Logic: College Math Lesson Plans
- Sets: College Math Lesson Plans
- Probability & Statistics: College Math Lesson Plans
- Geometry: College Math Lesson Plans