About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Properties of Functions chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms; |
Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
| The mapping of numbers and the use of functions; |
A look at dilation and rotations
|Tuesday|| How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions; |
What is Domain and Range in a Function
| An explanation of profit, cost and revenue functions; |
The process for calculating domain and range
|Wednesday||How to Compose Functions||Writing equations and combining two or more functions|
|Thursday||Inverse Functions||The process of finding and confirming inverses|
|Friday||Applying Function Operations Practice Problems||Common properties for solving mathematical problems|
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
4. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Arithmetic in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Decimals & Fractions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Percent Notation in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Real Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Radical Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Absolute Value in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Exponents in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Distribution Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Cubic Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Measurement & Geometry in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Data, Statistics, & Probability Lesson Plans
- Well-Known Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans