About This Chapter
Properties of Geometric Shapes & Angles - Chapter Summary
Our instructors will explain the properties of squares, rectangles, rhombuses and triangles. You will learn how to make important calculations such as perimeter, area and circumference. The Pythagorean theorem will also be introduced, along with its practical applications.
Your study will continue with a review of similar triangles, as well as parallel, transverse and perpendicular lines. The different types of angles and how they relate to triangles is also included. This chapter will show you how to:
- Compare the properties of shapes, including rhombuses, squares and rectangles
- Identify an isosceles triangle
- Calculate the perimeter and area of triangles and rectangles
- Find the area and circumference of a circle
- Describe and utilize the Pythagorean theorem
- Tell the difference between parallel, perpendicular and transverse lines
- Differentiate between types of angles
Our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes can be reviewed at any time, seven days a week. Each lesson is accompanied by a printable transcript so you can make a copy to review offline. Use the quizzes and chapter tests to gauge how well you understand the topics covered in the lessons, and feel free to contact our instructors if you have questions as you work through the chapter.
1. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
2. Properties of Shapes: Triangles
Isosceles, equilateral and obtuse, oh my! These are terms for triangles. But, what do they mean? In this lesson, we'll explore the properties of triangles and take a closer look at the different types of triangles you may encounter.
3. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
5. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
6. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
7. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
8. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
9. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
11. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
12. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PAX RN: Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Reading Comprehension
- Learning & Using Vocabulary
- Basic Arithmetic Operations
- Essential Math Review
- Exponents, Polynomials & Quadratics
- Cell Biology Overview
- Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Biology of Living Things
- Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- Scientific Method & Reasoning
- Understanding Chemistry Basics
- Chemical Changes & Reactions
- Physics Concepts
- Speed, Acceleration & Momentum
- PAX RN Flashcards