About This Chapter
Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics- Chapter Summary
The lessons in this heat and thermodynamics chapter have been put together to help you improve your understanding of the subject. You will study information such as how heat transfers by conduction, Newton's law of cooling, blackbody radiation and Wien's law. Some lessons show you how to perform calculations, such as converting temperatures between Kelvins and Celsius. These lessons will concentrate on helping you:
- Explore the application of the first law of thermodynamics
- Review the law that predicts the behavior of real gases
- Identify how the ideal gas law formula is expressed
- Know the four thermodynamic processes
- Explain the second law of thermodynamics
- Understand what temperature measures
- Analyze how the Carnot cycle works
- Perform calculations using Wien's Law and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
In these lessons, our expert instructors present the material in a way that is both educational and fun. As you work your way through each lesson and watch the videos, read the transcripts and take the self-assessing quizzes, you will have constant support. If you get stuck on a certain concept or lesson, our instructors are here to help you by answering any questions you might have. The video timeline also has links that make it easy to jump to a specific point in the lesson that you need to rewatch.
1. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
2. The Ideal Gas Law and the Gas Constant
Have you ever wondered why the pressure in your car's tires is higher after you have been driving a while? In this lesson, we are going to discuss the law that governs ideal gases and is used to predict the behavior of real gases: the ideal gas law.
3. Using the Ideal Gas Law: Calculate Pressure, Volume, Temperature, or Quantity of a Gas
In another lesson, you learned that the ideal gas law is expressed as PV = nRT. In this video lesson, we'll go one step further, examining how to rearrange the equation to solve for a missing variable when the others are known.
4. Thermodynamic Processes: Isobaric, Isochoric, Isothermal & Adiabatic
Learn about the four thermodynamic processes and how they work: isobaric, isochoric, isothermal and adiabatic. See if you can tell the difference by taking a quiz.
5. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
6. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvins and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
7. Efficiency & the Carnot Cycle: Equations & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the Carnot Cycle, including what it represents and how it works, and calculate the efficiency of a particular Carnot engine. A short quiz will follow.
8. Heat Transfer Through Conduction: Equation & Examples
After watching this lesson, you should be able to explain how heat transfers by conduction, give examples of conduction and complete conduction calculations. A short quiz will follow.
9. Newton's Law of Cooling
This lesson will introduce the reader to Newton's Law of Cooling, what it is, how it is experimentally verified, and how we can use it to calculate the cooling rate of objects in real-world examples.
10. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
11. What Are Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?
This lesson will explain why an object glows and why it changes color with temperature as we take a look at blackbodies, electromagnetic radiation, Wien's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.
12. Calculations with Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
This lesson will go over the equations, as well as some calculations, for Wien's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. You will learn what factors these laws depend upon and what they reveal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Probability in Math
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards