About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra I Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about properties of polynomial functions. There is no faster or easier way to learn about algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn how to divide polynomials using synthetic division.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an algebra curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a properties of polynomial functions unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Properties of Polynomial Functions Unit Objectives:
- Evaluate polynomial operations in several variables.
- Identify the coefficients and degrees of a polynomial.
- Use long division to divide polynomials.
1. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
4. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
5. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
6. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic Review: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Math Word Problems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Decimals & Fractions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent Notation: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Simplifying Square Roots: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Composing Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working With Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Exponents: Homeschool Curriculum
- Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Distribution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Cubic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Measurement & Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent & Proportions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Homeschool Curriculum
- Well-Known Equations: Homeschool Curriculum