About This Chapter
2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning Exam: Properties of Polynomial Functions - Chapter Summary
This chapter on polynomial functions can show you how to add, subtract and multiply polynomials. You'll also learn how to divide polynomials using both synthetic and long division. More advanced lessons cover how to evaluate polynomials with several variables. When you finish the chapter, you should be prepped to take the 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam. Lesson topics include:
- Cubes, quartics and quintics
- Addition, subtraction and multiplication of polynomials
- Long division and synthetic division of polynomials
- Polynomial expressions
This chapter on polynomial functions offers several lessons devoted solely to practice work and sample math problems. All of the lessons in the chapter provide math explanations and definitions in a concise, easy format. Quizzes at the end of each video can help you gauge your learning and determine if you're ready to take the 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam.
2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning Exam Objectives
As of January 2014, the new GED exam is entirely computer based and now adheres to the Common Core State Standards. The exam is meant to determine your understanding of core high school curriculum in four different subjects that include mathematical reasoning. Algebraic problem solving makes up 55% of the mathematical reasoning test, while quantitative problem solving accounts for the remaining 45% of the exam. The objectives of this chapter include:
- Graphing cubics, quartics and quintics
- Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials
- Dividing polynomials using long and synthetic division methods
- Solving polynomials with several variables
- Factoring polynomial expressions
The 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam is composed of a variety of question types, including multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, hot spot and drag-and-drop. You'll have 90 minutes to take this two-section exam. The first section requires you to answer five questions without the assistance of a calculator. The longer second section may be completed with an on-screen calculator.
1. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
2. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
3. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
4. Factoring Polynomial Expressions
When it comes to factoring polynomials, there are several methods to choose from depending on what kind of polynomial you are looking at. Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify and use the appropriate method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations
- Overview of Roots & Radical Expressions
- Overview of Continuity in Mathematics
- Overview of Mathematical Limits