About This Chapter
Property Titles - Chapter Summary
Developing a quality understanding of property titles is simple with help from this entertaining chapter. Our instructors have created engaging lessons you can study at your convenience to better understand quiet title actions, title insurance, marketable titles and other related topics. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- Describe the requirements and process of recording title documents
- Give the meaning of a constructive notice in real estate
- Differentiate between a chain of title and abstract of title in real estate
- Explain the importance of a marketable title
- Share examples of quiet title actions
- Define and explain the purpose of title insurance
This chapter makes it easy to tailor your study process to your unique schedule and needs. Choose the lessons you want to review, and visit them anytime and as often as you'd like. We offer mini quizzes and a practice test you can take when ready to check your understanding of each lesson and the whole chapter. If you need to study on the go, take advantage of mobile features that allow you to access our materials using your preferred smartphone or tablet.
1. Recording Title Documents: Process & Requirements
If an important real estate document is not recorded, it could cause a series of legal problems. Learn how real estate title documents are recorded and why.
2. Constructive Notice in Real Estate
This lesson will define constructive notice in real estate and provide examples. Additionally, actual notice in real estate will be discussed and compared with constructive notice to give the reader a better understanding of the types of notice in real estate.
3. Chain of Title & Abstract of Title in Real Estate
If you want to know the names of everyone who has ever owned a specific property, you would have to conduct a chain of title search. In this lesson, we will look into how to search a chain of title and how to create an abstract of title in real estate.
4. Marketable Title: Definition & Importance
One of the most important concepts in real estate sales you'll probably never hear about unless you don't have it is marketable title. In this lesson, you'll learn what marketable title is and why it's important.
5. Quiet Title Actions: Definition & Examples
Sometimes the only way you can resolve a claim against your real estate or fix a defect to its title is by going to court. In this lesson, you'll learn about quiet title actions and how they can be used to resolve claims and cure title defects.
6. What is Title Insurance? - Definition & Purpose
Title insurance differs from most types of insurance. Policyholders are protected from liabilities that have occurred in the past as opposed to something that may occur in the future. Learn what title insurance is and why it is an important part of real estate transactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Indiana Real Estate Broker Exam Study Guide course
- Introduction to Real Property
- Public & Private Land-Use Control
- Estate Ownership, Rights & Interest
- Deeds & Property Transfers
- Property Value & Appraisal
- Introduction to Real Estate Contracts
- Real Estate Agencies & Agency Relationships
- Listing Agreements & Property Management
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection
- Risk Management in Real Estate
- Property Disclosures
- Introduction to Real Estate Financing
- Real Estate Lender Requirements
- Federal Real Estate Financing Regulations
- Closing & Settlement Real Estate Transactions
- Real Estate Investments
- Indiana Real Estate Commission & Licensing
- Indiana Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Business Procedures