About This Chapter
Proportional Relationships & Percents - Chapter Summary
Get a quality understanding of percents and proportional relationships by watching the entertaining videos in this chapter. Instructors provide comprehensive overviews of ratios, rates, proportions and unit rates. Lessons offer clear steps for solving problems and examples to enhance your understanding. Reviewing this chapter ensures you're able to:
- Explain the relationship between ratios and proportions
- Demonstrate how to find the unit rate of change
- Define a percent, and describe its uses in the real world
- Show how to solve one-step problems involving rates and ratios
- Exhibit your ability to solve problems using percents
The videos are short, averaging about 10 minutes each. This makes it easy for you to fit your review of proportional relationships and percents into your busy schedule. If you'd prefer to read your lessons, scroll down to find full transcripts with helpful vocabulary words. Test your knowledge of each lesson's concepts by taking multiple-choice quizzes. If you need additional information about topics covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit your questions to our experts.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
3. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
4. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Rates
One of the most useful aspects of math is the ability to take a rate and use it to solve questions of time or quantity. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use rates, time, and quantity to solve for each other.
5. How to Solve a One-Step Problem Involving Ratios
Ratios show the relationship between different things. They can be very useful in math and everyday life. Learn how you can quickly and easily solve one-step ratio problems.
6. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards